Canon 5D Mark II / 5D2

Started by ted ramasola, March 27, 2014, 08:34:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kabuto1138

Hey Poroma, any luck locating the latest?  :-\

thx

ilia3101

@Kabuto1138 @poromaa just use nightly builds, and update every now and then, monthly is fine. They will have constant bug fixes and are always the 'latest', or if you want something really edgy you could get involved with 10 and 12 bit branches, but they aren't fully working on the mark ii and will most certainly have bugs.

Kabuto1138

Fogiven1

Hi everyone,

I am new to Magic Lantern, but just want to say how amazing it is.   So many great features.  Thank you so much to everyone who has contributed to the project!

I have question about using the FPS override in my 5dII.    I was able to get it working.   I changed the frame rate to 12 or 12.5 maybe and it does record in double time.  However rather than making one continuous movie it takes about 10 seconds worth of video, stops and then restarts again, making a whole bunch of those little short vids.    Also during the first couple of seconds the image is very dark, and then it starts to "lighten up" as if auto ISO is on or something, but I am shooting in manual mode.

What am I doing wrong? How can I fix this?   

Thanks in advance.

a1ex

I'm looking for a couple of startup logs, using this build:

http://builds.magiclantern.fm/jenkins/view/Experiments/job/startup-log/

These will log all Canon messages from the first 30 seconds, then save a log file. During this log, I need you to capture the following actions (not all at once, but divided over a couple of logs):

- menu navigation (just browse around)
- play mode navigation (view a picture, zoom in, toggle histograms etc)
- card format and restoring ML
- changing various Canon settings
- LiveView (for future use)
- autofocus (same)

Why? I'm getting really close to emulating the 5D2 in QEMU (it boots almost all the way until the GUI, and CF emulation works - see the DCIM test), but I'm missing something. These logs may help figuring it out.

(50D already works, with Canon menu navigation, card formatting and so on; figured it out from this log)

PressureFM

Quote from: a1ex on May 02, 2017, 09:02:37 PM

http://builds.magiclantern.fm/jenkins/view/Experiments/job/startup-log/

These will log all Canon messages from the first 30 seconds, then save a log file. During this log, I need you to capture the following actions (not all at once, but divided over a couple of logs):

- menu navigation (just browse around)
- play mode navigation (view a picture, zoom in, toggle histograms etc)
- card format and restoring ML
- changing various Canon settings
- LiveView (for future use)
- autofocus (same)

Why? I'm getting really close to emulating the 5D2 in QEMU (it boots almost all the way until the GUI, and CF emulation works - see the DCIM test), but I'm missing something. These logs may help figuring it out.

(50D already works, with Canon menu navigation, card formatting and so on; figured it out from this log)

I can do it first thing in the weekend. Currently about to move so all equipment is packed down.

a1ex

Thanks, already got a few logs from Ilia3101 and figured it out.

It would still be interesting to get the same scenarios covered from other cameras (to analyze differences and similarities), but that's just something nice to have (for future use).

DeafEyeJedi

Quote from: a1ex on May 02, 2017, 09:02:37 PM

Thanks for this. Just borrowed a 5D2 from a co-worker to do this.

Here are the logs in order per your request:

https://mega.nz/#!b9lmlKbB!04oSkbIYF8C0rwFmIxgqz4XFkT6bqBq9Nj9IjJcV-fs
5D3.113 | 5D3.123 | EOSM.203 | 7D.203 | 70D.112 | 100D.101 | EOSM2.* | 50D.109

reddeercity

@A1ex , thanks for the startup log build it's helping me to understand Live View and how it starts up.
@ DeafEyeJedi , thanks for the logs files , it was easier to download your then logs then make my own .
I posted info about liveview  here -->  http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=19336.msg184219#msg184219 if any wants to check it out 

Dark

Hello! I'm not good in understanding all this stuff, so I would like to ask how ML installation on Canon Mark 2 can be useful? Will I be able to shoot 24 FPS 4K video, or just 1920x1080 60FPS+?  Thanks

arboldeconfianza

Hi guys I wanna begin with a WORKFLOW in macbook pro, I used after effects and my macbook pro have ati radeon and cudda is not compatible, anybody haved experience with final cut in MLV workflow?, probably in the future i can make a test and share!, thank you!!

GO 5D MARK II!!

reddeercity

Do a search , this been ask & answered many times

lordwilli

Can i use Sandisk Extreme Pro CF 128 GB on 5D Mark ii?

Any advice would be helpful!! Thanks!!

reddeercity

Yes , you should be ok with that but no bigger. If you do a search you will find the info .
I personally use 64Gb 1066x Cf Cards . Just incase one card crashes or gets corrupted .

zerogvfx

Hi, my Canon 5D MkII won't record RAW video. I've installed the latest nightly build and changed every module and setting according to this website. However in the Movie menu, RAW video MLV is switched on and remains grayed out.

I followed a similar thread to here by your direction. I'm having the same issues.
http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=19909.0

Thanks to all who keep this software possible.

Canon 5D MkII, Lexar 64GB 1066x, magiclantern-Nightly.2017Aug18.5D2212

Kharak

Try mlv_rec.mo, mlv_snd and mlv_play modules only. Mlv_rec and raw_rec can not be on at the same time.
once you go raw you never go back

zerogvfx

Thanks for the heads up, I'll check my config.
Cheers

zerogvfx

The camera needs to be switched into the live View shooting mode to activate the loaded modules.

mlv_play

mlv_rec
mlv_snd

Just press the live View shooting button.

Some times it's procedural.

Cheers

post image url for forum

dcw1979

Quote from: reddeercity on January 03, 2017, 01:15:04 AM
Happy New Year fellow 5D2 Users  :D
Don't mean to double post this but thought is was important everyone is up to dated .
Just wanted to inform all 5d2 uses that if you don't all really know there a 10-12bit raw video reduction discussion thread going on here
There is success with the 5D2 in Crop Mode @ 10bit but full frame has corruption still and not very functional
The issue is the liveview is still in 14bits and causes problems , but for some reason unknow (at least to me ) in works in 3xCrop mode  :o
Don't expect any nightly here for some time , if you want to try it out and help to get the 5d2 working in full frame go to the  12-bit (and 10-bit) RAW video development discussion

I shot a quick green test that turned in to a quick talk/explanation of 10-12bit  ;D
quick facts , Filmed with my 5D2 @ 10bit 2144x1076 23.976p with mlv2.0+audio (11,190 frames) about 8:00 min
Write speed was about 65MB/s , more info at this post here

Edit: I uploaded this video as apple prores4444

Great video. Do you think  shooting in 10bit might give capability of shooting higher frame rates?

Cycloptersaurus

Looking at the user guide, I'm not clear if this is applicable to all cameras using Magic Lantern or specific ones, but what I am particularly interested in is the Movie Restert function - I have some 20-30 minute performances that I would love to be record but can't, since I am in them. Will this work? Will there be any side effects beyond a few second gap in between clips? Thanks!

ted ramasola

With regards to the restart function, the last time I used it, there will be a gap. It might not be several seconds, probably 1 or less. but there is a gap.
5DmkII  / 7D
www.ramasolaproductions.com
Texas

reddeercity

Quote from: dcw1979 on September 21, 2017, 02:47:24 PM
Great video. Do you think  shooting in 10bit might give capability of shooting higher frame rates?
If you mean more than 30fps , it can get 32 fps(with frame over ride)  but has nothing to do with 10bit raw video
All this means is 10bit can record larger frame sizes up to (in 3x cropmode) 2144x1076 mlv+audio continuous @ 23.976 or maybe 25 fps (I don't use that frame rate so not sure)
Thou if you want higher either get a 5d3 or 7d that does 60fps , I don't think even the 5d2 has enough processing power to do 60 fps or even 48 but I could be wrong . 

reddeercity

Quote from: Cycloptersaurus on September 26, 2017, 05:59:29 AM
...... but what I am particularly interested in is the Movie Restert function - I have some 20-30 minute performances that I would love to be record but can't, since I am in them. Will this work? Will there be any side effects beyond a few second gap in between clips? Thanks!
As Ted said there will be a small 1-2 second gap , but works will . There is other way to get 20-30 min of footage , One way is to capture the (Clean)HDMI signal to a recorder e.g. Atomos Ninja Hard drive recorder (check your local camera rental store) , Capture card/device connected to a computer/laptop e.g. blackmagic ultra studio usb3.0 device (I have  one ) *note* HDMI is only 1650x1080 so it would have to be scaled & or crop (holds up really well) . Or use mlv raw video and reduce the resolution frame size e.g. 1600x800 or 1280x720 etc. .... of course it depended on the size of you CF card . You could try the highly experimental 10bit reduction build , which will reduce you data rate but only works in 3x cropmode with a lens crop factor of 2.5 to 3.0 depends on frame size . At 2144x1076 @ 23.976 fps I can fill a 64 GB CF card = 14 min. (about 62MB/s)  look here to see what different frames sizes & data rate that can use to maximized the recording time  Some examples : 10bit cropmode1280x720 @ 23.976 = 23.3MB/s 19min on a 32 GB card or non crop mode 1:1 1280x720 at 14bit 36.9MB/s = 13min on 32GB card . Etc. ....... .

One more though on h264 you can reduce the encoded bit rate from the normal 45Mb/s to 10-20 & if you have 2 cams you can off set the record time so cam 2 came overlap the gap in footage this is probably the easiest method .

SoyLeo

Hello Dfort, I have problems with the 5d2 version raw_video_10bit_12bit.2018Jan27.5D2212 and raw_video_10bit_12bit_LVState-wip.2018Feb04.5D2212, error loading the modules after activating them, the magiclantern-Nightly.2018Feb04.5D2212 vesrion works without problems

I also have a 7D and the raw_video_10bit_12bit.2017Dec12.7D203 version works without problems