Audio settings for rode videomic original

Started by brbobo4, March 18, 2014, 11:23:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

brbobo4

Hi guys,

I have a question about rode videomic (not the pro version just the older original). There are hundreds of form posts out there for the pro but I am struggling to find info on settings for the original. I know I am a bit screwed because the original doesn't have the +20 setting. But I still want to know what I can do to maximize my audio. Rightnow here is what I was thinking I should do. Set camera (canon 60d) sound recording to manual and turn the level all the way to the left then slowly bump it up until I get acceptable audio levels?

But what about within magic lantern?
Analog gain - 20db?
Input source - auto int/ext?
Wind filter - off
Mic power - on (low z)
AGC - off

Do these settings seem okay?

Thank you in advance!

ItsMeLenny

You're thinking wrong.

I have the same mic, well the stereo version. And it is incredibly quiet.

Canons digital gain is rubbish, so turn it off completely.

Unless you have your own little amp between the mic and the camera then you should turn analogue gain all the way up.
Even with it all the way up it's not loud enough, so you should then digitally boost it in post (not in the camera).
If you don't turn it all the way up, your sound quality will be worse when adjusted in post.
Unless you are filming a jack hammer or jet plane, then you can either turn it down in the camera or change the switch on the mic.

Input source can stay auto.
Wind filter can stay off (you should have a dead mouse/rat for your microphone if you want to filter wind).
AGC you definitely want off (that is auto gain control).

On the mic itself you may want to switch the lowpass on if you're filming near a street with cars.

brbobo4

Thanks for the advice. Just to make sure I'm getting this right. Turn the gain in the canon menu off completely (i.e. All the way to the left) then within the magic lantern menu turn the analog gain all the way up?

Then just boost the audio in post?

Is there some minimal level that I should be watching for on the audio meter. I'm just afraid I won't be able to boost enough in post if the original file is too quiet

ItsMeLenny

I'm unsure what the Canon menu audio is, or what it adjusts.

But so long as you're boosting the analogue all the way that's the max volume you can get.

If you boost the digital it is _exactly_ the same as boosting it in post, however, boosting it in post will probably result in better quality and more control.

brbobo4

I think the canon menu audio is digital boost (after reading some other forums). Thank you again for your help! I appreciate it!