Canon 5D Mark III / 5D3 / Firmware 1.2.3

Started by a1ex, March 16, 2014, 03:26:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

budafilms

Quote from: Jakobmen on March 26, 2014, 08:40:34 PM
with ML overlays? 

what settings you using.?

No, with out overlays in the monitor!(yes in the viewfinder) But it's enough for work with a cameraman and a director!

ted ramasola

Quote from: budafilms on March 27, 2014, 03:18:38 AM
No, with out overlays in the monitor!(yes in the viewfinder) But it's enough for work with a cameraman and a director!

I think what you want to say is; there are overlays in the camera LCD (the viewfinder the the one you stick your eye in which is dark when the mirror is up) and there are no overlays in the external monitor via hdmi.
5DmkII  / 7D
www.ramasolaproductions.com
Texas

budafilms

Quote from: ted ramasola on March 27, 2014, 04:01:43 AM
I think what you want to say is; there are overlays in the camera LCD (the viewfinder the the one you stick your eye in which is dark when the mirror is up) and there are no overlays in the external monitor via hdmi.

Exactly!

I tried taking various shots, 5 min, 2 min in full HD with .RAW ( I thought with external monitor .raw could be a problem but not, it's the same).
If you are using h264, and after you  want to use .raw, take off the battery and start again.
Last week I loose lots of videos.
The rest works perfect.

A1ex it's the next Ironman. Or Canonman.

Jakobmen

This is what is happening when i use a external monitor via hdmi https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B3Wn4pEshal_eHVxNC1rTEhGU2c/preview

the external monitor shows a clear picture but the camera lcd is just blinking.. i cant record ..

any pointers ?
Canon 5D3

budafilms

Quote from: Jakobmen on March 27, 2014, 04:57:58 AM
This is what is happening when i use a external monitor via hdmi https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B3Wn4pEshal_eHVxNC1rTEhGU2c/preview

the external monitor shows a clear picture but the camera lcd is just blinking.. i cant record ..

any pointers ?

It's like your info button are pressing.
Take the battery out or format the card and copy ML again!

vstrglv

Thank you for your job!

I have tested W/R speeds for seven  CF cards. Ver.1.1.3 is faster than ver.1.2.3. Return to 1.1.3. Hope 1.2.3. will be faster.
http://yadi.sk/d/Pbt-8juaLJFb4
How to post an image?
Canon 5D3,1.1.3; Canon EOS M,202,  CF-SanDisk Extreme PRO,160MB/s, 256GB, SD-SanDisk Extreme Pro, 170MB/s, 128GB.

Jolly Roger

Quote from: budafilms on March 27, 2014, 04:49:30 AM
Exactly!

It's weird, when I use the new hdmi mirroring feature, there's no way to show ML overlays in the camera LCD. Pressing INFO button, just shuffles the normal Canon overlays..  :-\

Jakobmen

Quote from: budafilms on March 27, 2014, 07:59:47 AM
It's like your info button are pressing.
Take the battery out or format the card and copy ML again!

ok its not blinking! ok the only thing showing on the Canon lcd is canons overlays not ML
Canon 5D3

gideonplus

@Jakobmen
You can have this problem back if you activate the "LV Display presets"
in ML Prefs menu

edufiend

Hey guys just wanted to say thank you and chip in a bit.

I have just tried out my first RAW video on the Mark Free with a Hoodman UDMA 7 64GB CF and it went on until around 1:04mins without skipping frames. When it did, it automatically stopped recording. Checked temp and it was 41º up from 24º before recording.

I'm a bit concerned in the shutter count it says I'm over 100K (yeah, went on a timelapsing trip by the end of 2012-early 2013 and went berserk) and ML says it has too many shutter actuations. Is this something I should be worried about? Maybe start using silent pictures from now on?

Thanks again, keep up the good work!

budafilms

Quote from: Jolly Roger on March 27, 2014, 11:18:14 AM
It's weird, when I use the new hdmi mirroring feature, there's no way to show ML overlays in the camera LCD. Pressing INFO button, just shuffles the normal Canon overlays..  :-\

Try Reply #183 ;)

a1ex

Quote from: vstrglv on March 27, 2014, 11:10:04 AM
Ver.1.1.3 is faster than ver.1.2.3. Return to 1.1.3. Hope 1.2.3. will be faster.

Can you do a chart just like Ted did for 5D2 here?

http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=11205.msg108936#msg108936

You will have to cover raw_rec and mlv_rec on both 1.1.3 and 1.2.3. Please do the test with the March 17 builds for both firmware versions.

tjaja

Since I still have 1.1.3 I can test that one first and then 1.2.3 but: MLV has so many configurations it would be insane to draw conclusions.

A chart with only RAW_rec with the different resolutions in 1x mode and 3x mode on 1.1.3 and 1.2.3 maybe?
5DFree, 550D, canon 50mm 1.4

a1ex

To simplify things, you can just use the default configuration and some other configuration with all hacks enabled.

Of course, testing all possible combinations has exponential complexity, but changing only one setting at a time (from the default configuration) will be also very helpful, as it will show the effect of each setting (and the complexity is linear).

If you have luma zebras enabled, remember they use zero CPU on 1.1.3, but quite a lot of processing power on 1.2.3.

vstrglv

Quote from: a1ex on March 28, 2014, 10:16:39 AM
Can you do a chart just like Ted did for 5D2 here?

http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=11205.msg108936#msg108936

You will have to cover raw_rec and mlv_rec on both 1.1.3 and 1.2.3. Please do the test with the March 17 builds for both firmware versions.
I'll try. But there is an accuracy question. It takes a long time for one card testing, so its temperature increases. But the higher temperature, the higher speed. FPS overwrite is on?
There is a test.
http://yadi.sk/d/DanyXgMqLPdpv
I can not insert a picture in the post...

Image link fixed //Audionut
Canon 5D3,1.1.3; Canon EOS M,202,  CF-SanDisk Extreme PRO,160MB/s, 256GB, SD-SanDisk Extreme Pro, 170MB/s, 128GB.

vstrglv

GooDween

can 1.2.3 be faster 1.1.3 or there are some limitations.
I have 1.2.3  and dreaming of 1080p 29.97 cont, but can rec 1-2 sec max.
my card from win indicates 114mb write. inside ml around 83. but with rec above 65 it tells me no way)

Danielbyron

I installed ver. 1.2.3 over the latest Canon firmware. This is the first time I've ever used ML, and it would appear I missed a step because I have no RAW video option. I've been scouring these forums for an hour or so but I can't seem to find a concise answer. Any help would be appreciated.

Also if I want to uninstall it can I just put the Canon firmware and overwrite or is that somehow risky?

Audionut

Quote from: GooDween on March 29, 2014, 12:40:25 PM
my card from win indicates 114mb write. inside ml around 83. but with rec above 65 it tells me no way)

Windows uses a write cache.  The reason why you should "eject" devices before unplugging them.

This will provide a more reliable speed reading in windows.

Quote from: Danielbyron on March 30, 2014, 05:37:58 AM
I installed ver. 1.2.3 over the latest Canon firmware. This is the first time I've ever used ML, and it would appear I missed a step because I have no RAW video option. I've been scouring these forums for an hour or so but I can't seem to find a concise answer. Any help would be appreciated.

Look in the modules menu, and enable the required module.

Quote from: Danielbyron on March 30, 2014, 05:37:58 AM
Also if I want to uninstall it can I just put the Canon firmware and overwrite or is that somehow risky?

Follow the instructions in the first post.

@vstrglv

No worries.  Try using an image host that provides a direct link to the image.

http://postimage.org/
http://tinypic.com/
https://imgur.com/

etc.

Danielbyron

Thanks for the help! Got raw up and running:)

GooDween

92md in assd)
btw wich settings are best? cluster size fat or exfat?

Audionut

If you are using the card specifically for raw recording, and speed is your priority, you should probably use the largest cluster size possible.  If you also do image capture,  then you may want to use a smaller cluster size to minimize wasted space.

You should also consider aligning the card partition.

I seem to recall a slight speed advantage to exfat.  But this may simply have been placebo.  Pretty easy to test this one yourself  ;)

Walter Schulz

Quote from: Audionut on March 30, 2014, 07:59:17 AM
If you are using the card specifically for raw recording, and speed is your priority, you should probably use the largest cluster size possible.  If you also do image capture,  then you may want to use a smaller cluster size to minimize wasted space.

Doesn't make much sense to me. What is the cluster size range we are talking about?

Typical RAW image size today is between 10 MByte (for older cams) and 30+ MByte. Default cluster size is 0.5 KiByte and therefore (statistics jumping in) 0.25 KiByte are wasted for each image taken. That's about 0.0025 percent (worst case for older cams). Drive with 30 GByte will loose 0.75 MByte to overhead if filled with RAWs.

Now cluster size 128 KiByte. 64 KiByte lost for each file (statics again) and a 30 GByte drive will loose about 192 MByte as in 20 RAWs. I can live with that.

Please explain if I missed something and of course correct calculations I've done before breakfast.

Ciao
Walter

GooDween

ok made via diskpart aligment and format to exfat.

Audionut

Quote from: Walter Schulz on March 30, 2014, 09:00:38 AM
I can live with that.

Then do so  :)

The point is, there is a difference in wasted space.  I provided the reader, the opportunity to make his own decisions.

The wasted space can never be more then the cluster size, for each file.  So where we have extremely large files, such as raw video, the difference is virtually nothing.  But if the user is also using JPG (lots of smaller files) capture (happens more often then you might otherwise expect), then the differences, may become relevant.