Canon 5D Mark III / 5D3 / Firmware 1.2.3

Started by a1ex, March 16, 2014, 03:26:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

garry23

I have been 'playing' with the latest 5DIII version all day in 'photography' mode, ie I don't do video.

All looks good and stable.

The only thing I will say is that, for the old fellas like me, with poor eyesight, it would be nice to see the 'green bar' confirmation in magic focus a little clearer, ie broader bar or maybe a green dot in the magic window.

I fully appreciate this is minor and I will continue to test and report.

Once again: well done ML (and Alex!)

EXIV

Great!!! Here is the very first test of the Magic Lantern for 5D Mark III 1.2.3 I just installed this new ML version and then I made a couple of shots to test the raw, which WORKS PERFECTLY!

The only issue, I was so in rush trying it that I committed the mistake to shoot with a very low ISO, so I had to increase the exposition in Lightroom, and this is why there is an incredible amount of noise, which indeed it wouldn't be there if I would have shoot at a decent ISO. 

I will keep testing the other functions and then come back with updates!

Thanks a lot ML guys!

IMPORTANT UPDATE 17th March 2014:
Today I have tested the raw video capability again, this time with clips longer than 30 seconds. I shot two long shots: the first one, the one embedded below, is OK, while the second one is corrupted, meaning I can't convert it with RAWmagic, and I definitely can't use it... this is so bad! I am not sure if I am the only one having this issue, but must be seriously considered if you plan to shoot a job with this.

The video has been shot on:
Canon 5D Mark III
Tamron SP 24-70mm f2.8 USD
CF Lexar Professional 1000x 32GB

Special thanks to EXIV

Music: "Yiourgh" by DoKashiteru (feat. Coblat)
http://ccmixter.org/files/DoKashiteru/21394
is licensed under a Creative Commons license:
http://creativecommons.org/licenses/sampling+/1.0/

albertgarciarue

Quote from: a1ex on March 16, 2014, 07:29:52 PM
albertgarciarue: did you get pink frames on 1.1.3 with latest builds? I don't see your voice here: www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=10443

No, I didn't although I don't know any about builds or nightly builds as I only have installed ML once and as all I needed was working perfectly I didn't touch it (5D3 mainly using H264 and raw video). So I don't know what build I have installed. I'd like to know more about this but I'm a bit lost.

Thank you for your exellent work. Then I'll be trying 1.2.3 really soon.

SoulChildPaul

There seems to be flickering everytime i use Magic Zoom in the zoom box. My settings are Large, 1:1, Zoom +rec

Malex

Thank you a lot for that release! I'll do the update later though  because of "for serious video use, please consider staying on 1.1.3"
I can't wait for the sensor upgrage! :-)

hjfilmspeed

Quote from: Jolly Roger on March 16, 2014, 09:53:52 PM
If you have the bootflag already enabled, just upgrade to 1.2.3 Canon firmware, power off the camera, put ML (1.2.3 build) on card, et voilĂ .

@Jolly Roger Realy? Wow.
No eoscard? Get rid of bootflag? This goes against everything i know about ML ha this is awesome!

Anyone shooting with there record CF card (not ML SD card) formatted to EXFAT on 1.2.3. I like the file spanning of raw_rec when recording to EXFAT CF card

tron

Just tested it on my 5D3! Superb!

I would like to thank you for 1.2.3 + bootflag removal support.

It works wonderfully. I tested it on my new (2nd) 5D3.

Then I verified the shutter count. It was 132 after my playing enough so it was new. You see when I got it I put a card without formatting it. It contained photos. I took some pictures then formatted. I saw numbers starting from 500 and I worried.

I knew it was my mistake the moment I switched cards and the number jumped to 900!

But now I verified it. Yet another plus for ML.

Thanks again...

winmediacenter

for higher ISO's try to use Neat Video Denoiser. it does it's job very well on RAW files. Of course in camera raw disable all sharpening and add id after removing all noise.

i'm amazed with the results i've achieved with this software.

samkolder

how can i enable raw? or is it not showing because my card is not fast enough?? any thoughts?

Frank7D

Quote from: samkolder on March 17, 2014, 04:46:38 AM
how can i enable raw? or is it not showing because my card is not fast enough?? any thoughts?

My thought is you should search this forum a bit.

garry23

One thing I have noticed is that the SET option in auto-ETTR doesn't seem to work. The double press is fine.

Unless, of course, I'm missing something. I select SET, go to LV and nothing happens.

KenshirouX

Great news!! Thank you so much!

Double checking - I currently use ML 1.1.3 for serious video use as in work for clients. In this case, should I hold off from upgrade from my current firmware "1.1.13-ml-v2.3.NEXT" for now or should I really jump on this firmware 1.2.3 without hesitation? Love to have more input on this..

kgv5

Like a1ex said couple posts earlier:

Quote from: a1ex on March 16, 2014, 03:26:45 PM

- watch out for corrupted frames (from my limited testing, I'm not fully convinced the seresolved on 1.2.3 => for serious video use, please consider staying on 1.1.3)

I would suggest to be a little patient and wait couple of days.
www.pilotmovies.pl   5D Mark III, 6D, 550D

a1ex

MZ flicker confirmed on 60fps while recording H264. Was it present on 1.1.3? (I prefer to avoid downgrading back and forth).

ETTR with SET: do you have any custom function assigned to SET? Some of these functions will change the button code.

Marsu42

Quote from: a1ex on March 17, 2014, 07:51:53 AM
MZ flicker confirmed on 60fps while recording H264. Was it present on 1.1.3? (I prefer to avoid downgrading back and forth).

You could also just buy a 2nd 5d2 :-> ... or get hired by Canon at last :-p

Some of these functions will change the button code.

Wa-what? I never heard about this ... what functions do set the SET (or other) button codes? Thanks.

KenshirouX

kgv5:  Understood.  I'll take the advice and wait a little longer for more feedback. Definitely can't have corrupted frame headaches. 

I long for the day when we could do continuous RAW recording without header/footer issues, but I guess that's for another thread.

KenshirouX

60fps H264? Couldn't this be done anyway? Maybe elaboration is needed.

a1ex

Quote from: Marsu42 on March 17, 2014, 07:55:29 AM
what functions do set the SET (or other) button codes? Thanks.

SET->ISO for example (just try them all and check).

Audionut

meditant

albertgarciarue

Quote from: KenshirouX on March 17, 2014, 07:00:14 AM
Double checking - I currently use ML 1.1.3 for serious video use as in work for clients. In this case, should I hold off from upgrade from my current firmware "1.1.13-ml-v2.3.NEXT" for now or should I really jump on this firmware 1.2.3 without hesitation? Love to have more input on this..
This is what I meant. I'll be waiting a few days.

Quote from: KenshirouX on March 17, 2014, 07:57:39 AM
60fps H264? Couldn't this be done anyway? Maybe elaboration is needed.

That's not possible as far as I know.

KenshirouX

Quote from: albertgarciarue on March 17, 2014, 09:59:34 AM
That's not possible as far as I know.

I'm confused. The 5DMIII as standard (without ML) can output 60fps H264 on a 720p resolution. Isn't this what is being talked about? I need some clarity to settle my mind on this one.

albertgarciarue

Quote from: KenshirouX on March 17, 2014, 10:23:13 AM
I'm confused. The 5DMIII as standard (without ML) can output 60fps H264 on a 720p resolution. Isn't this what is being talked about? I need some clarity to settle my mind on this one.
I meant H264 1080p 50 or 60fps, I don't know what he referred to. Sorry about that. H264 720p at 60fps is possible even without ML as you say  ;)

KenshirouX

Quote from: albertgarciarue on March 17, 2014, 10:58:53 AM
I meant H264 1080p 50 or 60fps, I don't know what he referred to. Sorry about that. H264 720p at 60fps is possible even without ML as you say  ;)

Thanks for clearing that up, I understand your need now. I also really want this, ideally, I really want this in RAW format without using any stretching tricks. It would be fantastic if, somehow, the techs can figure this out and somehow pull-off 120fps at 720p. Such a wishlist that probably isn't possible, but hey, what do I know?

What I also want, and probably more useful, is the ability to switch/toggle the Zoom feature on the viewfinder whilst recording so you can perform a focus adjustment with accuracy without the need to buy an additional viewfinder. That would help massively as I have been in quite a few situations where I was, somehow, out of focus and it was really hard to tell in the standard viewfinder. Compared to the FPS wish, I feel the zoom toggle whilst recording would probably be more feasible.  Again, my apologies for plugin this wish as that would be in a different thread.

dancook

I was trying to use liveview with focus peaking and zebras.

It worked once, but every other time it crashed - gave me an error with I entered liveview mode.

Or in liveview I pressed 'info' to switch views, and it would lock.

Also had missing file message on boot up - about to try again loading from SD.

Here's a zip of logs I took from the card
https://www.dropbox.com/s/21luj8q67wcuslx/5dm3_errors.zip

Does this help? sorry if this isn't the place to do this :)

I tried to install from the SD instead (32gb instead of 64gb cf) - still crashes when trying to get things to work in liveview.