Please discuss raw recording issues in the Raw Video section of the forum.
Raw recorders (mlv_rec, raw_rec) are just apps that run on top of Magic Lantern core, just like Auto ETTR
and many other modules
. This thread is for issues specific to the 5D Mark III port (in particular, problems introduced in 1.2.3 that did not exist in 1.1.3).Any messages about RAW/MLV from this thread will be deleted without notice.
Not alpha, not beta, nor zeta, just a bleeding edge that happens to work for me. It might work for you or it might not.(note that my standards are fairly high, so what I call bleeding edge, others may call semi-stable or whatever)Installation:
1) Format the card from the camera.
2) Make sure you are running Canon firmware 1.2.3
3) Copy ML files
on the card and run Firmware Update.Uninstallation:
1) Run Firmware Update from your ML card.
2) Follow the instructions.What's hot:
- bootflag issue solved! (p.s. some bloggers got it wrong, you still enable it in the camera, but you can disable it by uninstalling)
- installation is really easy (simply unzip the files on the card, update firmware and you are ready to go)
- uninstallation is equally easy (update firmware and follow the instructions)
- EosCard is now optional
- ML restores itself after formatting the card (man, that komputerbay card is fast!)
- you may install on any card combination you may think of
- over 300.000 downloads
in the last two months What's not:
- unlike most firmware updates which fix minor things, this one changed a LOT, especially on the display side (for example, LiveView is now quad-buffered and most of the display registers were changed).
- watch out for corrupted frames
(still an issue?)
- fast zebras not working, but can be fixed
- no full-screen magic zoom (I never used it anyway, but was nice)
- no brightness/contrast/saturation adjutments (registers changed)
- no documentation (yet).
For photo use (raw overlays, ETTR and so on) it should be just fine (that's how I use it).Source code:
- the 5D3-123 branch
in the main repository.
- feel free to merge it locally
or experimental branches
to get a sneak peek for the future updates.
- I'll merge it to unified when I'll be confident it's at least as good as the 1.1.3 branch (based on your feedback).Thanks to:
- chris_overseas for initial porting and testing
- horshack for advice about safely toggling the bootflag
- Audionut for early builds and support in the early porting thread
- marekk, pompeiisneaks, jpaana, rufustfirefly, sinubis and others for early feedback and small fixes
- mk11174 for getting the 700D port in sync in this one
- everyone else who volunteeres their time to make a great community project.Final notes:
- check nightly builds often and stay up to date!
I'll do my best to make sure there are no critical issues in the nightly builds.
- there are
quirks and bugs waiting to be fixed (please report them properly, with details on how to reproduce
- grab the ARM toolchain and start hacking! (start with something easy
or just tweak/fix whatever you find interesting).
- If anything goes wrong, we don't pay for repairs. Use Magic Lantern at your own risk!coming soon: a lot of stuff, including a real sensor upgrade, a C compiler that runs on your camera and other geeky stuff like this