Higher Bitrates preventing playback

Started by JBeau, June 24, 2012, 07:20:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JBeau

I'm new to using ML and I am running ML unified on a 5DmkII.  I was more interested in some of the other features, like cropmarks and focus peaking, but finally wanted to play with higher bitrates.  I tried 1.4x bitrate, after looking at the wiki table for what my cards should be able to handle.  I am using the Sandisk Extreme UDMA 60MB/s 16GB cards.  The video recorded fine, never going above one white square in the buffer.  However, in playback, it would only play for a few seconds and stop.  I could press play again and it would do a few more seconds.  When I dumped the card onto my computer, it played back fine.  But, I can't see doing a shoot like that, not being able to immediately watch the video back.  Is anyone else experiencing this?  Is this normal?  Thanks!

KarelBata

It's normal. I use a 600D and record at 1.8X. You'll have to get used to it. I find I can watch about 5 seconds at a time. I'm not bothered, but I can see why you might be.

May I ask - do you see any difference with increasing the bit rate?

;)
I use a pair of 600Ds shooting 3D HDR timelapse - all at the same time!

JBeau

I think the biggest problem is not being able to play it back for others around, like the director, and having to explain, "don't worry, the movie is fine, we just can't watch it here.... I'm sure it's fine."  And then breathing a sigh of relief when you see it in post.

To be honest, I didn't really see much difference.  But I didn't do any serious grading.  For me, I might save higher bitrates for things I know will be jacked with in post, or for green screen stuff.

1%

Strange... I can play back any bitrate on 600D. Never had this issue.