Dual ISO: back into CR2

Started by Marsblessed, March 09, 2014, 03:31:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Marsblessed

Quote from: Audionut on April 21, 2014, 04:25:55 AM
It would be a little silly, if anyone and everyone, could push code changes to ML, don't you think.

http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=10774.msg104838#msg104838
Do you really think I have not read it?
You see, in order to create a pull request, I have to push my changesets into my bitbucket's account and that is exactly the point where I got "Authorization failed" despite using correct bitbucket login. It looks to me that I am forced to use ssh-keys instead of simple password and that "technique" I have not tried yet.
Canon EOS 650D with ML

Audionut

Quote from: Marsblessed on April 21, 2014, 06:58:34 AM
Do you really think I have not read it?

I don't know.  I cannot read minds, that's probably why I linked it  ;)
Your statement sounded like you were trying to push your changes directly to the ML repository.  As opposed to forking, and creating a pull-request.

You don't need ssh keys.

Bitbucket 101.
Bitbucket documentation.
Bitbucket support.

Marsblessed

Quote from: Audionut on April 21, 2014, 07:40:22 AM
I don't know.  I cannot read minds, that's probably why I linked it  ;)
Your statement sounded like you were trying to push your changes directly to the ML repository.  As opposed to forking, and creating a pull-request.

You don't need ssh keys.

Thank you. Actually, you were right - I was trying to push changes directly from my local rep-clone into the main ML-rep. Reviewing the documentation one more time helped me to find the appropriate way of doing things.
Canon EOS 650D with ML

a1ex

Quote from: Marsblessed on April 20, 2014, 09:58:42 PM
At first glance my results look perfect. The problem is the fact that I had had to add different offsets to the values of the original DNG-files in order to achieve adequate black levels. Moreover, as it could be seen on the lower photos, the resulting black level is not perfect at all - the radiator does look more pink than it should be and if I decrease the offset for just 1, the radiator will look ok but the floor will become really green.

If the results change by adjusting the offset by just 1, you need more than 14 bits. Try using --soft-film=4 to compress the highlights (maybe more, maybe less) - this should reserve more bits for the shadows and let you do a finer adjustment.

a1ex

Quote from: Marsblessed on April 20, 2014, 09:58:42 PM
(dual vs forged with some post)

I'm trying to reproduce the noise pattern from the first image, but I'm not able to. Here's what I've got from ufraw+enfuse, without noise reduction:

Do you have a conversion log for this image?

Marsblessed

Do you mean the noise pattern of the left one of the two pictures? If so, then it seems that you regard it as a result of cr2hdr but it is not. It is the result of direct conversion of the original dual-CR2-file made by DxO. Due to reduction in size, the difference between dark and bright stripes has almost disappeared, although it is clearly visible (for example, on the wall).
Canon EOS 650D with ML

LoriF

I am creating a tutorial for RE:Vision Effects. I am their training and content manager. We have a new plug-in called DE:Flicker and I am working on a new tutorial for them to show an alternative use for DE:Flicker which would be would be producing a different workflow. DE:Flicker Auto levels can pick odd or even frames and drop the other so it cuts out all those other steps and also gives some other options inside auto levels.
My question is, if any of you have dual ISO HDR footage I could use for a tutorial to demonstrate this workflow? If I use your footage, we could give you a DE:Flicker plugin http://www.revisionfx.com/products/deflicker/
in addition to a credit and link to your website on the tutorial. Message me if any of you have footage.  Thank you, Lori

PaulB

Has there been any progress on this utility? I'm very interested in getting CR2 files out of the Dual ISO stills procedure as a) I use Canon's DPP as the first stage of my normal image processing and b) I don't seem to be able to load the .DNG files currently produced into Photoshop CS3.

lintoni

PaulB - are you using DPP to only perform lens corrections and then exporting the CR2 to another editor? If so, I believe you can still do that, then export as a CR2 from DPP and then pass the file(s) over cr2hdr and then work with the DNGs...

PaulB

No, I have not yet found a need to do lens corrections at all. What I tend to do in DPP is play with the colour saturation, brightness, contrast and shadow/highlight levels, do any cropping or rotations needed and then save the changes back to the CR2 file before saving a TIFF format copy for further processing in Photoshop CS3. I use CS3 for sharpening, fine adjustments and size reduction before saving as a JPG for upload to Flickr if the end result is up to par. I like the fact that the original image data is unchanged in the CR2 file, (which may also be true for a DNG file, I don't know), but for financial reasons I'm restricted to the tools I currently have, and I simply don't have anything that plays nice with the DNG files that cr2hdr produces. I've only had my 600D for a couple of months and didn't have any DSLR before that, so I'm still on a bit of a learning curve with it all.