60D and silent picture question

Started by vertigopix, March 02, 2014, 10:31:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

vertigopix

Hi !

If i assign AF to back buttons (AF-ON or *) in the C.Fn menu my 60D still take pics when i press AF-ON or * (not just when i press half-shutter)

Is it normal or is it a bug ? (i'm using the last nightly and silent.mo)

Thanks a lot and have a nice sunday,

Christian

Audionut

Quote from: vertigopix on March 02, 2014, 10:31:14 AM
still take pics when i press AF-ON or *

Still?   Does this imply that it takes pics with the back button, before you change the custom function?

And to be clear, are you talking about standard Canon images, or silent pics?

vertigopix

Thank you for your interest Audionut !

I'm talking about silent pics.
Yes, still. If i don't change the C.Fn it takes pictures with back buttons.

ayshih

My understanding is that a half-shutter press, the AF-ON button, and the * button all generate the same event that ML uses to trigger silent pictures, so it's not apparent how to distinguish between these three buttons.

These are the closest relevant threads I could find on the forum:
http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=9038.0
http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=1923.0
Canon EOS 50D | 17–40mm f/4L & 70–300mm f/4.5–5.6 DO IS | Lexar 1066x

a1ex

Marsu42

Quote from: ayshih on March 04, 2014, 04:36:05 PM
My understanding is that a half-shutter press, the AF-ON button, and the * button all generate the same event that ML uses to trigger silent pictures, so it's not apparent how to distinguish between these three buttons.

You can see for yourself by using show gui events from the debug menu - each keypress generates a generic "hey, you just pressed a key" event and then a specifc press and maybe unpress code (or not).

Unfortunately the keys covered by Canon events are specific to each camera body, and unless reverse engineers the low level routines we have to live with what events and codes Canon graces us with.

vertigopix

Thank you all !
So i'm not so crazy...  ;)