New in ACR 8.4 RC - variable grain for video

Started by eoshq, February 22, 2014, 09:03:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

eoshq

According to the Lightroom Journal blog, the Adobe Camera Raw 8.4 Release Candidate adds a new feature for raw video:

"Grain effect now varies from image to image to facilitate editing time-lapse and video frame sequences".

http://blogs.adobe.com/lightroomjournal/2014/02/camera-raw-8-4-rc-and-dng-converter-8-4-rc-now-available.html

WeekendWarrior

Does this now allow us to use the sliders without the exposure flickers caused from ACR? Or is that completely different?

sergiocamara93

@WeekendWarrior It probably doesn't affect the flicker caused by using shadow/highlight recovery, only the grain effect of ACR. The recovery is done individually in each image to "optimize" the result, so that will probably remain unchanged with this update. If you use Whites/Blacks for the recovery instead of Shadows/Highlights there should be no flicker.
5D Mark III

arrinkiiii

Quote from: sergiocamara93 on March 03, 2014, 05:19:44 PM
@WeekendWarrior It probably doesn't affect the flicker caused by using shadow/highlight recovery, only the grain effect of ACR. The recovery is done individually in each image to "optimize" the result, so that will probably remain unchanged with this update. If you use Whites/Blacks for the recovery instead of Shadows/Highlights there should be no flicker.

Damnnn  =DD

WeekendWarrior

Quote from: sergiocamara93 on March 03, 2014, 05:19:44 PM

I know I should do more intensive testing on this subject, but are you basically suggesting that all the sliders besides the shadows/highlights won't cause flickering? Even exposure or sharpening? Cause so far to keep it safe I've only been doing VISIONLOG & White Balance inside ACR and doing everything else in after effects to avoid that flicker.  Thanks

Kharak

Just wanna add that You can abuse all sliders depending on your scene.

If the brightest highlight stays visible and/or as bright in the DNG you open in ACR, throughout the scene. Then no flicker will occur.

Scenes with shoulder mounted camera (basically a lot of camera movement) are very illegible for slider abuse as you will most likely change highlight or obstruct highlight in your scene under those circumstances.

A steady scene with a camera on a tripod and no blocking or obstruction of the highlight will 99% of the time work every time.

Clouds that steadily cover the highlight are a GO for slider abuse in most cases as the "flicker" will be so suptle that it is not noticeable and in many cases the transitional flicker will make it look better. You decide. (not talking about time-lapse)

I have no scientific proof of this, only my own experience.

Besides, most "normal" people will not notice flicker.

once you go raw you never go back

Africashot

At least it looks like ACR is heading in the right direction!
ML 5D2 & T3i