Smoothing the transition to Magic Lantern.

Started by Audionut, February 20, 2014, 04:24:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Audionut

As per this announcement, all users are kindly asked to discuss all features and fixes from Tragic Lantern, in this thread.

Please state clearly, the camera model, and feature or fix.  It would be helpful, if you are aware of the specific commit, to note that here also.
The quality of the (your) bug report, is directly proportional to the speed of the resolution process.  Please reference this article:  http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/bugs.html

Where it is possible, and within the limits of time constraints of the developers, these features and fixes will be backported to Magic Lantern.  It is hoped that an equilibrium can be found, whereby all features and fixes developed by 1% can be smoothly transitioned to Magic Lantern in the shortest time frame possible.

Please be aware that the developers are actively monitoring this thread, and if you receive no response to your enquiry, please do not immediately consider that your enquiry has been ignored.  Responding to forum posts is time away from coding  ;)

Thankyou.

Marsu42

I know this is won't happen as this was one of the main discussion issues, but 6d beep (and wav recording) doesn't work in ML while it does in TL with some hackish approach. As I don't do the video thing this is the one real regression TL->ML I experienced, and I admit I even patched in the TL beep code into my personal repo. I hope sooner or later a cleaner audio solution will be found for 6d.

ted ramasola

As of Mar 28 build for the 7D. comparing to TL (Important differences)

For shooting MLV Raw + Sound

1. Max resolution 16:9 in 1X mode 1728x972 =ML: stable and continuous /TL: stable and continuous
2. External HDMI monitoring in 1728x972 =ML: Causes tearing and occasional pink frames /TL: Clean/no corruption
3. FPS over ride= ML:Not yet implemented/TL:Implemented
4. Crop Mode Highest Vertical Resolution Continuous recording= ML: 1536x864 16:9@30P / TL: 2496x1200 2:1@16fps-no sound,2048x930 2.20:[email protected]
5. Headphone monitoring controls= ML:Not yet implemented/ TL: Volume controls available
5DmkII  / 7D
www.ramasolaproductions.com
Texas

feureau

I haven't checked with the latest yet, but also on the 7D: it seems bitrate hack is also missing from the ML port. I understand there's a problem with the code writing to non-volatile memory. There's also a problem with the bitrate hack automatically disabling canon audio every time you turn on the camera.

ted ramasola

I really have not seen any visual improvement of an image from bitrate hacks on the 5D2, testing it intensively with different picturestyles to the point nobody used it in a serious project.

So i think its similar in the case of the 7D. Its purpose in h264 has become moot due to raw video.

Have you seen samples that showed improvement with a side by side comparison?
5DmkII  / 7D
Texas

Marsu42

Quote from: ted ramasola on March 29, 2014, 09:12:41 PM
Its purpose in h264 has become moot due to raw video.

... but not with the 6d as raw video is limited by the crippled sd card controller, but it's interesting to read you doubt any noticeable visual improvements of any of the h264 hacks.

Pelican

Quote from: ted ramasola on March 29, 2014, 06:24:28 PM
5. Headphone monitoring controls= ML:Not yet implemented/ TL: Volume controls available
For headphone monitoring in TL do you have to run the autoexec.bin only or you have to start the master fir too?
EOS 7D Mark II, EOS 7D, EOS 5, EOS 100 + lenses (10mm to 300mm), 600EX, 550EX, YN600EX x 3
EOScard, EOS DSLR firmwares, ARMu, NiControl, etc.: http://pel.hu/down

ted ramasola

just the autoexec.bin.

Right now with ML when you plug in usb for headphones the liveview will turn OFF.

The work around in TL is not perfect.
In TL, there is an ON switch in the Audio menu.
When attaching a headphone the LV could turn off.
Remove usb/headphone cable, the LV will turn back ON,
toggle headphone in ML menu -OFF then ON again.
Plug usb/headphone cable back in.
5DmkII  / 7D
Texas

Pelican

EOS 7D Mark II, EOS 7D, EOS 5, EOS 100 + lenses (10mm to 300mm), 600EX, 550EX, YN600EX x 3
EOScard, EOS DSLR firmwares, ARMu, NiControl, etc.: http://pel.hu/down

krisdeak

I think there's definitely evidence out there of the bitrate hack making a difference:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=14xH2QYRkHI

I personally tested the 'official' version of it on the 700d and there is indeed a noticeable difference especially with scenes of high detail and keying for example.
The advanced TL version that existed for the 600D was even more of an improvement according to JGHarding's post in the now defunct thread about it.
He claims to have used it at 100MBps All-I sustained without hiccups on professional shoots.

My request: is it possible to implement a stable version of GOP and Slice Control back into ML?
Maybe not even all the complicated stuff, but at least a foolproof version of All-I recording (GOP=1) and maybe another inbetweener short GOP option?
From what I can gather, the 600D definitely can do it in a stable manner, so probably 650D and 700D should work too...?

I know with all the amazing work done on raw and dual ISO, this seems like I'm asking for a pair of new horseshoes while everyone else is whooshing past in Ferraris - but for those of us who can't go raw for one reason or another (for instance the pink dots, cropping etc), this would be a really nice improvement.

feureau

Quote from: ted ramasola on March 29, 2014, 09:12:41 PM
I really have not seen any visual improvement of an image from bitrate hacks on the 5D2, testing it intensively with different picturestyles to the point nobody used it in a serious project.

So i think its similar in the case of the 7D. Its purpose in h264 has become moot due to raw video.

Have you seen samples that showed improvement with a side by side comparison?

I can only comment for the 7D since that's what I use. Yes, the difference is day and night. Especially when you shoot GOP1.

Under default settings, the keyframe would look perfect, but then the next frames would be mangled by h.264 artifacts until you get to the next keyframes. I posted a side-by-side comparison a long time ago in this forum but I'm too lazy to dig it up.

Plus the bitrate hack has not been rendered moot by raw since recording raw and high-bitrate h.264 are totally different beasts. There are times when you want quick-to-edit simple h.264 instead of having to slave through raw to output.

far.in.out

QuoteMy request: is it possible to implement a stable version of GOP and Slice Control back into ML?
Maybe not even all the complicated stuff, but at least a foolproof version of All-I recording (GOP=1) and maybe another inbetweener short GOP option?
QuoteI can only comment for the 7D since that's what I use. Yes, the difference is day and night. Especially when you shoot GOP1.
I'd very much like that too.
BTW, any chance it's possible on 50D?
EOS M (was 600D > 50D)

tupp

Quote from: krisdeak on March 30, 2014, 03:15:03 AMMy request: is it possible to implement a stable version of GOP and Slice Control back into ML?

Support this request 100%.  "No-artifact H264 (with boosted bitrate) is an exceptionally useful alternative to raw.  It would be nice if slice and d-block control were available, too.

Thanks for all of the great work!

ru31jan

Me too, definitely the GOP size in combination with the bitrate would be awesome.

Zao

The bitrate options, more specifically the bitrate build, allowed the 600D to go up to 38fps in Full HD without line skipping. I have used this in paid gigs many times. I even bought a second 600D because of the features of T_.

Does any other camera do this? I'll have to see when I get a 5d3 but my 5d2 certainly doesn't.

oooook just read the rest of that other post where everyone is going on about it. Long story short...

Quote from: a1ex on March 28, 2014, 07:23:26 PM
Not to mention that bitrate adjustments and beep code from TL were implemented by removing the safety checks (assertions) from Canon code. These checks are there for a reason, and disabling them is something I don't agree with.
While a lot of people may stay with T_ because of this, the work that has been done throughout ML doesn't ever go unrecognized. Maybe if you have been around for a while then you certainly know where T_ came from and the ground that was broken through ML.
5Dii/T3i & a few super taks

dpjpandone

Quote from: ted ramasola on March 29, 2014, 06:24:28 PM
As of Mar 28 build for the 7D. comparing to TL (Important differences)

For shooting MLV Raw + Sound

1. Max resolution 16:9 in 1X mode 1728x972 =ML: stable and continuous /TL: stable and continuous
2. External HDMI monitoring in 1728x972 =ML: Causes tearing and occasional pink frames /TL: Clean/no corruption
3. FPS over ride= ML:Not yet implemented/TL:Implemented
4. Crop Mode Highest Vertical Resolution Continuous recording= ML: 1536x864 16:9@30P / TL: 2496x1200 2:1@16fps-no sound,2048x930 2.20:[email protected]

I wanted to update this, we can cross off 1, 3, and 4.

The most important one (for me) is still missing:

"2. External HDMI monitoring in 1728x972 =ML: Causes tearing and occasional pink frames /TL: Clean/no corruption"

I have been doing extensive testing of the main nightlies, and I have tried every setting imaginable, I have disabled all overlays/global draw, tired lower resolutions, etc. I cannot record RAW with hdmi 1080i monitor without tearing in the recorded image. I have to use the "force vga" option which drops it to 480p.

I was doing research about this issue today when I noticed the quoted post, so I thought I would try TL again, and to my amazement, the tearing is not present...

I'm hoping to bring this to the attention of the guys who are maintaining 7D, big thanks to Vyskocil, G3ggo, and Alex for keeping 7D up to date! Can someone please take a look to see what's being done differently so we can fix the HDMI tearing in main?  One percent initially thought it was single-buffering vs. double buffering, but I did not find confirmation of this, or any mention of the solution that he finally implemented.

sbrager

Is there a forum discussion about the 600d/3ti? I haven't seen one. Should I be looking at another model which is similar?

Thanks;

Stan

Licaon_Kter

Quote from: sbrager on May 05, 2015, 07:52:06 PM
Is there a forum discussion about the 600d/3ti? I haven't seen one. Should I be looking at another model which is similar?
What problem do you have while running the latest (19 April) ML?