As of Mar 28 build for the 7D. comparing to TL (Important differences)
For shooting MLV Raw + Sound
1. Max resolution 16:9 in 1X mode 1728x972 =ML: stable and continuous /TL: stable and continuous
2. External HDMI monitoring in 1728x972 =ML: Causes tearing and occasional pink frames /TL: Clean/no corruption
3. FPS over ride= ML:Not yet implemented/TL:Implemented
4. Crop Mode Highest Vertical Resolution Continuous recording= ML: 1536x864 16:[email protected] / TL: 2496x1200 2:[email protected] sound,2048x930 2.20:[email protected]
5. Headphone monitoring controls= ML:Not yet implemented/ TL: Volume controls available
I wanted to update this, we can cross off 1, 3, and 4.
The most important one (for me) is still missing:
"2. External HDMI monitoring in 1728x972 =ML
: Causes tearing and occasional pink frames /TL
: Clean/no corruption"
I have been doing extensive testing of the main nightlies, and I have tried every setting imaginable, I have disabled all overlays/global draw, tired lower resolutions, etc. I cannot record RAW with hdmi 1080i monitor without tearing in the recorded image. I have to use the "force vga" option which drops it to 480p.
I was doing research about this issue today when I noticed the quoted post, so I thought I would try TL again, and to my amazement, the tearing is not present...
I'm hoping to bring this to the attention of the guys who are maintaining 7D, big thanks to Vyskocil, G3ggo, and Alex for keeping 7D up to date! Can someone please take a look to see what's being done differently so we can fix the HDMI tearing in main? One percent initially thought it was single-buffering vs. double buffering, but I did not find confirmation of this, or any mention of the solution that he finally implemented.