MLV Mystic - [Windows][OSX] MLV/RAW to DNG & Dual ISO GUI batch converter V0.5

Started by GTempler, February 13, 2014, 06:43:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GTempler

Hi Everyone,

We've just completed our beta build of MLV Mystic, a Windows/Mac based GUI MLV/RAW to DNG batch converter.

It is a lightweight converter built upon g3ggo, a1ex and hudson's mlv_dump and raw2dng code.

We are happy to be able to share this converter with the magic lantern community, and hope you will weigh in with your suggestions, requests, or experience of bugs so we can make this software awesome and tailor it to best help the community.

Currently Supports

-Batch MLV to RAW and DNG + WAV

-Batch RAW to DNG

-Batch Dual ISO

-MLV reindexing

-Vertical stripe fix (for banding introduced by some cameras)

Planned Updates

-Compression

-Linux build? (based on demand)

Latest Updates version 0.5

-Chroma smoothing

-DUAL ISO

-Drag and drop

-Destination folder

-Naming convention selection

-Metadata LOG files

-Sub Folder selection

-Progress bar fixed

-Program hanging while converting fixed

Source code is available here: https://github.com/GTempler/MLVMystic

The latest builds for Windows and Mac can be found at our website: http://secondsparkproductions.com/index.php/blog

-Gavin

mario1000

An interesting program but I think I found a bug in the user interface. If I click "vertical Stripes fix (5d3)" I get stripes in the pictures and if I uncheck the button I don´t get any stripes. I think this should be fixed.

gary2013

I could not get this app to do anything on my windows 7 u4 bit system. It would always hang/freeze and not respond after selecting files and then Convert.

GTempler

Thanks for the heads up Mario. I will do a sweep of the stripes fix to find the mix up.

Gary, the latest build was actually made on a windows 7 64 bit system. Could you give me any specifics on the files you are converting and the version of magic lantern you're running?

arrinkiiii

Looking good  :)

It's not possible to solve the vertical strips for the 7D  ?

Francis Frenkel

Just test it this morning (i'm in France) and it works very good (MLV + sound) with a 5D mark2 / 14 feb firmware version (a_d)
Windows 7 64bits.

It's fast, simple to use and efficient.
Just what I need to work effectively on a Pro. production

Thank you so much !

Francis

Francis Frenkel
www.ffrenkel.com

nick.p

toniox

Canon EOS-M, Canon 7d, Canon 550D. 18-55mm EFM, 24-105 L, 50 1.8 II, 22 f2 EFM, Fujian 25, 35, 50 c-mount.

silvertonesx24

gary2013

Quote from: GTempler on February 13, 2014, 09:16:21 AM
Thanks for the heads up Mario. I will do a sweep of the stripes fix to find the mix up.

Gary, the latest build was actually made on a windows 7 64 bit system. Could you give me any specifics on the files you are converting and the version of magic lantern you're running?
I have the M camera, I use the latest TL nightly builds, so I have Feb11th when I tried it. I shoot MLV movies , 1280x720 16x9 24fps crop mode. No audio can be used on the M as of this time.

GTempler

Thanks for all the response from everyone so far. Were currently looking into the reported bugs. There is also a new release, as due to the steady request we've now compiled a Mac Build!  We hope you all enjoy it. Leave us a comment to let us know how you like it.

Midphase

Thank you for porting to the Mac...much appreciated.

What I would really love however is if this app could convert to CDNG instead of DNG. Premiere Pro can identify and playback CDNG, but not plain old DNG files.

Any possibility of that being implemented?

KurtAugust

I need to try this out asap. I've been waiting a long time for this! (Mac GUI)
www.kurtaugustyns.com @HetRovendOog

swinxx

Will try that out for mac. Thx. My goto conversion tool for mlv files is mlv_dump.ox.
Mlviewer is also great for previewing..
Sw

Danne

Really cool! Tried it on my mac works good. Audio gets extracted together with dng;s. The IDX files are place outside the folder, maybe supposed to. Never found out what to use the idx files for.
Tried with raw and works as usual converting files smaller than 4gb. Spanned files makes the converter crash.
Suggestion to be able to save exported folders to a personally chosen location.
Thanks a lot for a mac gui.
Good work!
//D

dubzeebass

One thing I'd appreciate is having the metadata dumped to a file as an option, like I was doing in my "app" here. I was finding it incredibly useful to be able to track focus distance, time, etc in there.

budafilms

Great work!!! Excellent!
I was waiting month for sth like this - with .wav!!!!

It's always recommend it check the vertical band for 5dIII?

Thanks!

arrinkiiii

Hi,

How you fix the vertical banding with the option in the GUI? Is with black frame subtraction?

Thanks

kgv5

Are you planning to implement DualISO movie processing? That would be the great feature.
www.pilotmovies.pl   5D Mark III, 6D, 550D

Canon eos m

Error help: The program cannot run because the Qt5core.dll file is missing. But I can see it in the directory. Also, once I extract the files and click on MLVMystic, I am asked to reinstall. Is this normal.
Canon 5D Mark III, Gopro Hero Blacks with 3D Casing, A Few Lenses, Adobe CC 2014, MacBook Pro, Windows 8 PC, Lots of Video Rig!

Started Nuke. Loved it but then the 15 day trial ran out. Back to After Effects and loving it :-)

GTempler

@Canon eos m : This sounds like a permissions error. Where are you extracting your files to? Try extracting the project to your desktop or public folder and running from there.

@kgv5 : We hadn't played around with DualISO too much in the past, but it seems really interesting so definitely possible. We will start testing it out in alpha stages as soon as we get the chance.

@arrinkiiii : The vertical banding is done by correcting luma amplification and not related back to the noise levels as with dark frame subtraction. Here is the write up from the code

/**
* Fix vertical stripes (banding) from 5D Mark III (and maybe others).
* These stripes are periodic, they repeat every 8 pixels.
* It looks like some columns have different luma amplification;
* correction factors are somewhere around 0.98 - 1.02, maybe camera-specific, maybe depends on
* certain settings, I have no idea. So, this fix compares luma values within one pixel block,
* computes the correction factors (using median to reject outliers) and decides
* whether to apply the correction or not.
* For speed reasons:
* - Correction factors are computed from the first frame only.
* - Only channels with error greater than 0.2% are corrected.
*/

@dubzeebass : metadata dumps will be available in the next update!

@Midphase : CDNG is not part of our current plans. However, we will take a look into the format and see if it would be possible to integrate into our system.

It's great to hear back from you all. Keep the comments coming and we will continue to do our best to meet the communities needs.

arrinkiiii

Thanks for the info =))

"CDNG is not part of our current plans. However, we will take a look into the format and see if it would be possible to integrate into our system."

Would be awesome =)