MLV raw files native support in Premiere Pro CC!!! (99%) minor glitches

Started by duey101, February 09, 2014, 07:06:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

duey101

Have I missed this somewhere in the forum, because I just scoured the entire forum for this and got nothing.  Did I just make a breakthrough discovery that PPro CC works native with MLV raw files direct off the card (with a few minor glitches).  I was just mucking around with all these converters and programs and thinking to myself, how great would it be if Adobe just supported MLV native right off the SD/CF card.  Well, it seems that PPro CC does just that... almost 100%. 

I was dragging in some CDNG clips into PPro and then I went to my Media Browser and saw my MLV RAW folder there and decided to click on it just for fun to see what happens.  To my amazement PPro said "processing clips" the MLV raw clips!!!  Then I then dragged those MLV raw clips into the source monitor, set in/out marks, dragged them into my timeline and edited, added effects, and exported!  All without any problems or crashes and glitch free scrubbing in PPro!  The only glitch is there is a weird triangle that progresses down the frame as the clip is played and I saw a few dead/cold pixels in the output file, but that might be something in my settings that caused the cold pixels, not sure.

Has this been posted already on the forum?  I couldn't find it.  Could this be a major breakthrough for ML developers?  I sure hope so!!!  Fingers crossed!   :)  Please chime in with any ideas or fixes for the triangle or cold pixels, because other than that PPro works native with .MLV raw files right off the card!  I can't believe this hasn't been discovered already.

Here is a screen capture of PPro CC showing the MLV clips...

And the mystery arrow that progresses down the screen with the .MLV extension next to it.

Here is the MLV ouput to H.264/Viemo setting...
Gear: Canon 5D Mark III, 60D, EF 70-200L, EF 85mm, EF 50mm, EF 10-22mm.  Platform: Dual Boot Win 7 Ultimate x64/Mavericks Hackintosh, PPro CC, LR5.

sam.anstis

I'm using the latest version of Premiere CC, and this certainly doesn't work for me. Very sus...

duey101

Gear: Canon 5D Mark III, 60D, EF 70-200L, EF 85mm, EF 50mm, EF 10-22mm.  Platform: Dual Boot Win 7 Ultimate x64/Mavericks Hackintosh, PPro CC, LR5.

Canon eos m

How to export using the media browser?

The files don't even show up in the import section.
Canon 5D Mark III, Gopro Hero Blacks with 3D Casing, A Few Lenses, Adobe CC 2014, MacBook Pro, Windows 8 PC, Lots of Video Rig!

Started Nuke. Loved it but then the 15 day trial ran out. Back to After Effects and loving it :-)

Midphase

Tested and it doesn't work for me, I'm updating PP right now and will report back.

Could you please tell us what version of PP you are using?

Midphase

Ok...just updated PP and I can't get any of my .mlv files to be seen. If I double click on them, the app appears to try and process them, but ultimately tells me there is no usable data.

Could you provide us with more detail? Can you repeat this on any .mlv files or just some? What version of ML are you using? Also, is this on Mac or PC?

duey101

I am on Windows 7 x64 and using the latest Adobe Premiere Pro CC v.7.2.1(4).  I have a 60D and I am using this build...
magiclantern-v2.3.NEXT.2014Feb05.60D111

I just went outside and shot some more MLV files just to make sure and it works on my system.  I am on a Toshiba laptop, high specs.

Here I just uploaded a video screen capture of me using these raw files direct in PPro CC.

Video here...

I am opening a new HD project and creating a sequence of 1920x1080 and then I browse to a folder on my HD that has the .mlv files in it.  When I use the Media Browser in Adobe PPro CC and click on the MLV folder it starts processing the MLV files...

Then I can work with them like any other files PPro supports.  I also just tried dragging and dropping an MLV file from a folder on my HD right into PPro CC and that works also.  If you don't believe me I can post a video of that too.

@sam.anstis >>> Look at the video and see for yourself.

@ Canon eos m >>> You select the folder where your MLV files are by using the media browser within PPro CC.  However, I just tried dragging and dropping and it works.

Watch the above video everyone!   :)

reddeercity

This work flow is not possible, I did tried to import from local drive or CF card and it will not work !
You can not even see the mlv files for import .
I recorded a new file of a few second of MLV+audio, just to make sure there is no corruption.(5D2, Feb4th, mlv+snd)
Premeire Pro 7.2.1(4)  is my version. On Windows 7 Pro, New Toshiba i7 Laptop.
the only way I can see it my have worked is if you have installed DrasticPreview or MediaReactor Workstation from www.drastic.tv.
They take about supporting mlv-raw with there plugin's  for Adobe.
If this truly works, we need a exact accounting how you did this,
Software version etc..

Midphase

Same here, we all have the same version of PP yet I can't get it to work either.

duey101

Okay, I'm trying to figure out all of this, I did download Drastic and I installed Infran and I notice all my RAW files have a Cat icon. 

Here is what I did...  I took the card out of my camera, copied all the MLV files to my HD, then opened PPro, went down to the media browser, clicked on that folder with the MLV files in it and it started processing, took a while, then bam!  There were the files and they work just fine... wait a minute! 

NEWS FLASH!!!   I just did it with RAW files too!  Okay, I know people won't believe this so here I go to make another video screen capture of that!

Just because it doesn't work for you right now doesn't mean it won't.  Obviously I have stumbled onto something here now we just have to figure out what it is.  Just look at the video screen capture of me using it in PPro CC.

Midphase

Quote from: duey101 on February 09, 2014, 09:12:54 AM
Okay, I'm trying to figure out all of this, I did download Drastic and I installed Infran and I notice all my RAW files have a Cat icon. 

Doesn't that explain it then? I mean are those 3rd party apps that enable access to .raw and .mlv files?

duey101

It isn't Drastic, I just looked, I Dl'ed it but didn't install it.  [[EDIT:  I did install actually]]  It may have something to do with IrFan and maybe even raw2cdng.1.4.8 because I was just using that to convert files before this all happened.  In my raw2cdng.1.4.8 folder I have...

raw2cdng.1.4.8.exe
mlv_dump.exe
5DIII_N2.look
raw2cdng.1.4.8.gif

That was the last thing I was using before I was able to have MLV and now RAW files drop directly into PPro CC.

arrinkiiii

If your MLV files have a cat (red?)  its a irfanview file/extension

Canon eos m

Canon 5D Mark III, Gopro Hero Blacks with 3D Casing, A Few Lenses, Adobe CC 2014, MacBook Pro, Windows 8 PC, Lots of Video Rig!

Started Nuke. Loved it but then the 15 day trial ran out. Back to After Effects and loving it :-)

duey101

Drag and Drop works for both MLV and RAW!  I just tested both.

Here is what the properties sheet in PPro says about the files...

MLV file

RAW file...

duey101

Here is one more video screen capture showing Adobe PPro CC being opened, Raw and MLV files being dragged straight off the SD card and dropped into PPro, where they are directly editable. 

As you can clearly see it definitely works as stated.  The only thing is as I mentioned before, that weird arrow with .MLV under it and some cold/dead pixels.  Anyone have any idea what is going on and why all of a sudden I can edit Raw and MLV directly in PPro CC with no time consuming and complex converting processes?  If we can figure this out the ML RAW capabilities just went through the roof!  Direct editing in PPro CC!!!   :D

I have no idea about programming and code, just shooting and editing.   :)

duey101

Just had a look through my CP at the install history, Recent install history is...

Adobe LightRoom 5 (which always automatically opens my SD card when inserted)
IrFanview (with plugins)  Download here ---> http://www.irfanview.com/
GoPro Studio
DNG Converter
MLV Converter 1.7.2 for WINDOWS
Drastic Media Reactor  ---> ding ding ding!!!  (What the properties from PPro said)
Film Convert
DaVinci Resolve 10.0 Lite

Could be a combo of Drastic Media Reactor and IrFanview, not sure.  But if maybe some of you try installing those and see what happens?  I really hope this is a small piece of code, or DMR or IrFanView update away from drag and drop MLV/RAW in PPro CC!

MvM

Well, PP is simply using Mediareactor to show MLV and RAW, as is mentioned in PP's fileproperty window.
Nice but expensive, 495 $ for the plugin...

chris_overseas

Yep, there's mention of MLV support on their website here: http://www.drastic.tv/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=204:supported-raw-camera-formats&catid=59&Itemid=94  Presumably the support is still in development and is responsible for the floating MLV arrow artifact. I'd expect that to disappear in later versions.

Quote from: MvM on February 09, 2014, 11:44:14 AM
Well, PP is simply using Mediareactor to show MLV and RAW, as is mentioned in PP's fileproperty window.
Nice but expensive, 495 $ for the plugin...
EOS R5 1.1.0 | Canon 16-35mm f4.0L | Tamron SP 24-70mm f/2.8 Di VC USD G2 | Canon 70-200mm f2.8L IS II | Canon 100-400mm f4.5-5.6L II | Canon 800mm f5.6L | Canon 100mm f2.8L macro | Sigma 14mm f/1.8 DG HSM Art | Yongnuo YN600EX-RT II

NedB

@chris_overseas: Trying to confirm this at the moment, but I think the "floating MLV arrow" is a demo watermark that will stay there until you actually purchase the plug-in. So unless one is willing to pay $495 (the current price for the Adobe version of the Drastic MediaReactor Workstation), this amazing workflow will remain out of reach for now. In the words of the immortal Walter Brennan from "The Real McCoy's": Dagnabbit!! Cheers.
550D - Kit Lens | EF 50mm f/1.8 | Zacuto Z-Finder Pro 2.5x | SanDisk ExtremePro 95mb/s | Tascam DR-100MkII

duey101

Yep, that's got to be it, I have that demo installed so it must be the watermark as mentioned here.  Dang!  I thought it was going to be a home run!  $495.00 though... ouch!  Anyway, we now know MLV and RAW can be directly used in PPro CC (via a plugin) and we know what kind of plugin.  Maybe some of the other Dev/Programmers associated with this community can come up with a free or almost free version that works just as well, then we are all in business.  Sigh...  :-[  I really thought this was gonna be the big breakthrough!

andy kh

now i found out that its the drastic MediaReader worstation that enable premiere pro import mlv or raw directly. and the triangle is the watermark since you are using trial version. to get rid of the triangle u need to buy drastic media reader.
Modify message
5D Mark III - 70D

duey101

Yep, me too... here is the missing link...

http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=8627.new#new

Oh... hear that air being let out?   SSSSSssssssssssssss..... 

Stedda

5D Mark III -- 7D   SOLD -- EOS M 22mm 18-55mm STM -- Fuji X-T1 18-55 F2.8-F4 & 35 F1.4
Canon Glass   100L F2.8 IS -- 70-200L F4 -- 135L F2 -- 85 F1.8 -- 17-40L --  40 F2.8 -- 35 F2 IS  Sigma Glass  120-300 F2.8 OS -- 50 F1.4 -- 85 F1.4  Tamron Glass   24-70 2.8 VC   600EX-RT X3

duey101

But, since Drastic is on this forum...

http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=8627.0

they may be able to come up with a more reasonable solution for all of us Indie film makers as they must clearly know most people can't afford this ($495.00).