Merging Spanned .MLV Files over 4gb?

Started by WeekendWarrior, February 02, 2014, 08:02:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WeekendWarrior

Hey guys! So after shooting a test take that was over 4gb (on a recent ML build) I noticed two files in my CF card (M01-1024.M01 and the M01-1024.MLV). I ran both files through the MLV dump application and it looks to have combined the files into one, though I think I'm missing the footage that was in the smaller folder.
I've searched, but have only found some solutions with the .RAW files and have yet to find a fix for the .MLV

Mark 3 // Recent ML Build (week or so) // Lexar 32 1000x // Shooting at 1920x818 2:35

Does anyone have any experience with this?
Thanks

g3gg0

.mlv files dont have be merged.
all tools support split files natively.

just open the .mlv, they should load the .m00 etc files too
Help us with datasheets - Help us with register dumps
magic lantern: 1Magic9991E1eWbGvrsx186GovYCXFbppY, server expenses: [email protected]
ONLY donate for things we have done, not for things you expect!

WeekendWarrior

How do I keep the files together? When I try to drag both files in the application, it merges them, thus loosing the footage on the smaller files.

g3gg0

magic lantern: 1Magic9991E1eWbGvrsx186GovYCXFbppY, server expenses: [email protected]

WeekendWarrior

Sorry, I'm getting a little confused here. Let me try and get this right..
So the two files I have in my CF folder are (M01-1024.M01 and the M01-1024.MLV) and then I also now have a folder on my SD card. Do I drag all these files into the MLV Dump and Run the command? Is there any re-naming I have to do with the other files? My had my workflow dialed down pretty well before I came across the split files, so its just throwing me off a little. Thanks!

ted ramasola

Review the info from this link, this has been the behavior of raw video since raw_rec:

http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=7122.0
5DmkII  / 7D
www.ramasolaproductions.com
Texas

g3gg0

copy both where you want them to have. in the same directory of course.
only provide the .mlv as parameter. simple as that.

WeekendWarrior

Im not too sure how to only provide the the .mlv as a parameter. What does that mean exactly?
How do I only provide only the MLV file for the command? I appreciate the help

WeekendWarrior

It looks like I was missing the files from the SD card. I think I got this working now, I appreciate all your help man! Thanks!

zachnfine

Sorry to pop into this thread so late, but I'm looking for info that seems related. I shot a bunch of spanned MLV raw last night, and I don't understand the process of getting mlv_dump to work on these files because it recorded identically-named files to SD and CF so I see no way to copy them to a single directory unless I start manually renaming files -- and at that point would mlv_dump know which files go with which other files?

For example, on my SD card are:
M01-1242.M00 (1.37Gb)
M01-1242.MLV (4.29Gb)

and on the CF:
M01-1242.M00 (145.3Gb)

I can't copy both M01-1242.M00 files into a single directory next to the .MLV file because they'll just clobber each other. I've got tons of files  This must be a simple basic thing, but I've been scouring the forums trying to figure out how to process these and am failing at finding the info.

chmee

Quoteand on the CF:
M01-1242.M00 (145.3Gb)
really 145GB?

Did you tried to use only the files from the sd-card?
[size=2]phreekz * blog * twitter[/size]

zachnfine

Yup, I was able to convert the 4.29Gb M01-1242.MLV and 1.37Gb M01-1242.M00 files from the SD card into a 5.27Gb DNG sequence and wav file. But I'd love to put the larger .M00 file in the same folder as the .MLV in order to extract its frames and audio as part of the sequence (it was a very long take, so 145.3Gb is not a mistake). Unfortunately even though every resource I can find on dealing with spanned files says to put all the parts of the capture in the same folder, those two identically-named .M00 files can't coexist in the same folder unless I rename them -- and if I need to rename them I don't know if that'd make them no longer match the names at which the MLV file addresses them?

Do I need to rename the .M00 file from the CF card to .M01, and will that work? If so, do I have to stick to a naming convention of .M## or can I rename that file to something like .M00CF so that I remember its origin?

Just one batch of files from last nights shoot include 44 identically-named files on SD and CF that are each portions of that spanned shoot, so I'd be having to do a lot of renaming. I wish there was a way to tell MLV_Dump to look in two directories for components of a given .MLV file.

Surely others have run into this issue and I'm just not doing a good job searching the forum for the solution.

Here's a link to the output of "ls -lh" on the contents of my cards from last night in case anyone wants to see the details of all the duplicate files. The first directory is the contents of EOS_SD, the second EOS_CF.
http://pastebin.com/sLWAsTSy

chmee

what is the logical order in your opinion? if you convert the sd-card-files, are they according or does it seem, the cf-card-file should be between them? just rename them, fi the cf-card-file into .M01. btw: the raw-data and the wav-data inside the MLV have timestamps, so, if the converter sorts the MLV-entries in a chronological order, it doesnt make any difference, if .M01 should be .M00 or vice versa.

simply rename it.

regards chmee
[size=2]phreekz * blog * twitter[/size]

zachnfine

Hah, I'm an idiot. The file's 145.3 Mb, not Gb. So I'm not missing tons of footage. It's also from a shoot earlier this month, not last night's long take.

I'm still not sure the proper way to deal with all these duplicately-named files though. I'll try renaming and see what happens. Are there supposed to be all these files with the same name on my two cards?