YOU TUBE UPLOAD CODEC - MAGIC LANTERN RAW WORKFLOW, AE, PREMIER, PROXIES, ACR

Started by theredbull, January 29, 2014, 01:05:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

theredbull

Hello Lantern users.

This is my first post here although I've been lurking, reading and researching this forum since April 2013. Magic lantern RULES!! Just have to say that.....

I would like your comments on my videos' quality and suggestions with this workflow - which took a LOT of research to develop. (I have no post production experience prior to this AT ALL)

It is a music video for a local band.

We shot RAW, at 23.976. Using a SIGMA 35mm 1.4 F DG HSM art series lens. ISO 100 always.

All shot takes were synchronized individually to the original music track in AE and then rendered to H.264 quicktime files.

These takes must be rendered from the first frame of the RAW footage or you will have synch problems later in this workflow.....

These H.264 quick-time renders were then imported into premier, synched to the music, edited together and the sequence finalized. Then, "replaced with AE composition" as described HERE.

NEAT TRICK from Adobe!  8)

Advantages are that the RAW proxies can be edited and manipulated in Adobe Camera Raw right until the final render in AE, without having to render and edit all takes individually (would take WEEKS!!!).

Also, only ONE final render is required from AE so hopefully preserving as much colour information as possible. 2.5 hours render time on my 8gb ram computer for final render...

Points to watch - Premier titles DO NOT replace into the AE composition. You MUST export premier titles as a targa file then import back into the premier, replacing the original title sequence. AE does not recognize the premier titles when you composition is replaced in AE. All effects in premiere WILL translate though. Obviously effects can be used in AE too before you render the final version.

The final render was done on the replaced composition in AE, applying the following settings-

Colour space REC 709 (HDTV). Use all proxies. Quicktime container.
10 bit YUV 422, uncompressed
Trillions of colours selected.

File, for a 3 minute video was 22.7 gb!!

Why do this?? Well, after researching the net, apparently you tube DOES support YUV 422 uncompressed files and quick-time file formats. I am on windows so DO NOT have prores 444. Otherwise, I would have rendered to this.

I believe, contrary to quite popular opinion (but not according to Google), the maximum bit 
depth, bit rate and chroma sub-sampling should be used in a youtube upload...IF youtube supports the codec AND you have the bandwidth. Google describes this as a "glass master" upload for content creators. A highly controversial statement I know!!!

Look here for a list of modern supported codecs on YT, some 4K ones too  :o.

http://www.reduser.net/forum/showthread.php?70894-YouTube-Video-Codecs-Resolutions-amp-Data-Rates

If you can wait and have the bandwidth, upload to YT in one of these formats. The quality is MUCH better than H.264.

Also, as bandwidth to; and codec delivery on; YT increases, so will the streaming of your master.
Apparently YT re-encodes all uploads when it updates its system codecs!!!

Future proof? Not quite, I would have preferred 444 but will look for a solution on widows that does not involve cost.

We had NO budget for this video. At. All. Only access to the EOS 5d mkiii and our computer with AE and PREMIER (and ACR obviously).

Would love to hear comments from established users. I realize my colours may be off but I was working on an SD monitor (excuse lol). Thanks for reading, please have a look and feel free to comment or ask anything. I am a total noob but the band are delighted at how the footage looks.

I love the magic lantern project and this forum. I would not have produced anything if it wasn't for the knowledge I have gained here.....Thanks for reading, hope you like.

Canon eos m

Canon 5D Mark III, Gopro Hero Blacks with 3D Casing, A Few Lenses, Adobe CC 2014, MacBook Pro, Windows 8 PC, Lots of Video Rig!

Started Nuke. Loved it but then the 15 day trial ran out. Back to After Effects and loving it :-)

zacshome

did you really find it better? I was researching this all last week and couldnt get anything hugely better. I did this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-p-0x3JQeYQ&feature=youtu.be in DNxHD 175mbs and it hasnt had too much of a benefit to be honest.

Scott Free

Thanks.. an interesting workflow...

To resolve the issue regarding the "imported frame rates" and so you dont have to change each one as they come in.. just  go to edit>preferences>import and change the value from 30 to 25... then all sequences will be interpreted that way. I have mine set to 23.976.. remember, if you use the Zoom feature and dont have fPS overide selected in ML, your footage will be shot at a faster frame rate of 29.997.. which (in my case) would result in a 20% decrease in speed (slo mo)..Remember your zooms shots if you are shooting with audio...it will result in problems syncing if interpreted incorrectly.