[UNMAINTAINED] Canon 5D Classic Firmware ** Beta 4 **

Started by coutts, June 14, 2012, 04:54:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

scrax

Quote from: walta on May 24, 2013, 04:55:39 PM
Earlier in this thread - I posted some info for the install. You can only have one .fir file at a time on the card.

Also, as scrax says if you run the firmware update with the "5dc.111.ML install.fir" a second time it will turn the bootflag off.

see here:

================================================================================
The instructions aren't too clear.

On your first install you need to do the firmware update with the file named "5dc.111.card bootable.fir" in the root of the card
This makes your card bootable.

Next you have to do the firmware update with the "5dc.111.ML install.fir" file (as well as all the other ones needed for ML)
This installs the ML bootflag.

There is no message that it was successful. The blue light should come on steady - like the instructions say. Then you have to remove the battery to re-boot the camera.

Blinking light means something wasn't installed properly or bootflag is turned OFF.

I'm not sure what the camera does if you do the upgrade firmware process with 2 fir files in the root of the card.
after copying all the files over there, I made sure there was only 1 fir file each time when I did the firmware upgrade process and it worked for me.
================================================================================
first time I've made the one fir at time install like you, then today I've tried to switch off bootflag and format card, then unzipped the package on it (with all 2 fir) and started the firmware update worked for enabling bootflag AND making card bootable.
I'm using ML2.3 for photography with:
EOS 600DML | EOS 400Dplus | EOS 5D MLbeta5- EF 100mm f/2.8 USM Macro  - EF-S 17-85mm f4-5.6 IS USM - EF 70-200mm f/4 L USM - 580EXII - OsX, PS, LR, RawTherapee, LightZone -no video experience-

walta

Quote from: scrax on May 24, 2013, 05:57:16 PM
first time I've made the one fir at time install like you, then today I've tried to switch off bootflag and format card, then unzipped the package on it (with all 2 fir) and started the firmware update worked for enabling bootflag AND making card bootable.

Well, I think when I wrote that it was beta 1 or 2 from Coutts. Maybe later versions of the beta boot differently.
Haven't tried to uninstall/reinstall with beta 4 or the latest one.

Maybe my help file is not needed any more.

Canon 5Dc and 400D

scrax

Quote from: walta on May 24, 2013, 07:47:22 PM
Well, I think when I wrote that it was beta 1 or 2 from Coutts. Maybe later versions of the beta boot differently.
Haven't tried to uninstall/reinstall with beta 4 or the latest one.

Maybe my help file is not needed any more.

Your guide is still valid and I think it's a way to do it in a safe way, I've just tried also the other way to see what will happen and nothing went wrong, but maybe just luck :)
EOS 600DML | EOS 400Dplus | EOS 5D MLbeta5- EF 100mm f/2.8 USM Macro  - EF-S 17-85mm f4-5.6 IS USM - EF 70-200mm f/4 L USM - 580EXII - OsX, PS, LR, RawTherapee, LightZone -no video experience-

Lord_o21

I formatted CF card in FAT ( instead of FAT32 ) and than it worked... Don`t know if it has to do anything with instal... Tnx anyway.

walta

Yeah, I just tested beta 4 with a freshly formatted card, updated firmware with all the package on the card and it worked fine.
Did the same thing in your latest beta 4+ or whatever your calling it and it works fine there as well.

What people have to remember is that when its done the firmware upgrade it flashes blue slowly. You have to turn the camera off, take off the battery and then put the battery back and re-start it.

By the way, are you recommending that we take the grip off when installing ML? What about after its installed - put the grip back on?

Canon 5Dc and 400D

walta

Quote from: Lord_o21 on May 24, 2013, 08:06:40 PM
I formatted CF card in FAT ( instead of FAT32 ) and than it worked... Don`t know if it has to do anything with instal... Tnx anyway.

I formatted in the camera so I wouldn't have to worry about what file format to use.

Canon 5Dc and 400D

scrax

Quote from: walta on May 24, 2013, 08:14:49 PM
Yeah, I just tested beta 4 with a freshly formatted card, updated firmware with all the package on the card and it worked fine.
Did the same thing in your latest beta 4+ or whatever your calling it and it works fine there as well.

What people have to remember is that when its done the firmware upgrade it flashes blue slowly. You have to turn the camera off, take off the battery and then put the battery back and re-start it.

By the way, are you recommending that we take the grip off when installing ML? What about after its installed - put the grip back on?
on 600D I've installed also with the grip on sometime, I suppose is mainly a precautional procedure to avoid power issue during firmware update.

dclim

Quote from: a1ex on October 13, 2012, 08:16:14 PM
Tomorrow, my 5Dc will go to its rightful owner, so... probably it's time to post a beta 4.

It was compiled from the same code base used for 7D alpha 1, it feels quite solid on my 5Dc (although I didn't shoot anything serious with it, just ran built-in stability tests that simulate random button presses), and it basically contains all the features I could port without significant reverse engineering efforts.

For more stuff (e.g. bulb exposures, trap focus or shutter count), one should dig deep inside the firmware. None of the tools from my current arsenal was able to find those, so it's probably hard - probably as hard as the 7D port :)

Auto ISO needs to be implemented from scratch or ported from 400plus. For me, the only auto exposure that I consider good enough is the one that exposes to the right. And from what I know, this is not possible to get with current hardware outside LiveView - not even on 5D3. If you disagree, just tell me how ;)

That's it - the 5Dc was quite fun to analyze, lots of internals are simpler and can be understood, but... it has some severe limitations. ML code is open, there are both free and paid reverse engineering tools, anyone can look inside and continue to experiment, there are firmware addons for 350D and 400D from where you can learn and borrow features... you only need time, skills and the desire to innovate.

I hope this update will effectively turn your 5Dc into a new camera (well... without LiveView).

Enjoy!

I have a idea. if it is possibe in 5Dc, So Great!

Semi Auto ISO( in Manual Mode)

1. User set ML Semi Auto ISO in Manual Mode.
2. User push Half shutter Button.
3. ML reads Over or Under exposure information( +2Ev, -1/3Ev, Etc).
4. If User don't push and release the button , ML set compensation ISO Value for Over or Under Exposure Info.
5. User push Half shutter Button, then User confirm a exposure information throuth the window.
6. If User push the Button, ML keeps present ISO Value.
7. If User don't push the Button, Again 2.~

banjankri

"update file cannot be found..." on my 5D  :( 4GB Transcend CF
sorry for my english

walta

Quote from: banjankri on May 28, 2013, 05:44:30 PM
"update file cannot be found..." on my 5D  :( 4GB Transcend CF

Did you copy the files and folders into the root on the card?

Canon 5Dc and 400D

banjankri

Quote from: walta on May 28, 2013, 10:49:15 PM
Did you copy the files and folders into the root on the card?

yes, absolutly... I did everything exactly as instructed
sorry for my english

banjankri

replaced the CF card on another and it worked  :)
sorry for my english

Entracte

Can we set more than 30 seconds manually with magic lantern on the 5DC ?

scrax

Quote from: Entracte on June 04, 2013, 08:24:22 PM
Can we set more than 30 seconds manually with magic lantern on the 5DC ?
No, we can't change bulb time on 5Dc

douwe

Does anybody know or has tried to run ML 5dc on a 1ds mark2... I really love this camera for its files, they look so 3 dimensional, to me offcourse.. But the menu on this piece of machinery absolutely stinks, also the lcd wich is is tiny, much tiny-erer then the 5dc, so being able to check focus with on press on a button would be sooo welcome. So could I try running ML 5dc on my 1 ds or would it not work for sure. After all they are made practically at the same date and the menu looks so a like. Any help would be appreciated!

0xAF

Quote from: douwe on June 05, 2013, 12:13:05 PM
Does anybody know or has tried to run ML 5dc on a 1ds mark2... I really love this camera for its files, they look so 3 dimensional, to me offcourse.. But the menu on this piece of machinery absolutely stinks, also the lcd wich is is tiny, much tiny-erer then the 5dc, so being able to check focus with on press on a button would be sooo welcome. So could I try running ML 5dc on my 1 ds or would it not work for sure. After all they are made practically at the same date and the menu looks so a like. Any help would be appreciated!

ML for 5Dc is for ..... 5Dc !

I would say that there is a risk of bricking the camera if you try to activate it with .fir file for different camera, or try to execute AUTOEXEC.BIN from a different model.

AFAIK, 1Ds mk2 is not in the ML targets, I think no camera from 1D line is in ML targets.
// AF

douwe

:'( Bummer, I tought that would be the answer... shame as it is such a fantastic camera, but also a frustrating one! Thanks for answering 0xAF!

DCB

Anything new?

I am thinking about putting this on my new 5D.

Peace

white_chapel

Quote from: dclim on May 10, 2013, 06:21:35 AM
Thank you for present(ML)!
I need a Auto ISO in M mode.
I hope to see Auto ISO in next version. please..
Good for you!

Well Auto ISO would be nice, I think!

Quote from: DCB on June 08, 2013, 05:28:45 PM
  Anything new?

I am thinking about putting this on my new 5D.

Peace

NEW 5D? Where did you buy it?

CMV

Anybody here hit by the awful problem of slow write speed on 5Dc after upgrading to firmware 1.1.1? If yes, does using ML fix the issue by any chance?

white_chapel

Just installed ML on my 5D. Without any problems.  ;)

I am a bit confused about liveview: I understand this should not work on th 5D, but why do we have a marker called Liveview?

Edit: found out, that Liveview is only mentioned at the Help section!  :(

a1ex

Txema

Hi everyone!

I have been following the forum for some time and this is my first post. First of all I want to thank all the developers, who are dedicating generously their free time to build these softwares to largely improve the features of the cameras we have. Thank you very much for your time and effort.

On top of this, I just want to ask if there is any estimation on the delivery date of the Beta 5 for the 5DC. If it's just in a few days I will wait, otherwise I will install Beta 4 or the Beta 4+ from the link that Scrax posted in May.

Thanks again.

Pharinen

I have noticed an issue while scrolling in ML menus; time to time Canon menu flickers top of ML menu. Has anyone else noticed this?

(That language is finnish btw, just ignore it) :P

Other than that, this seems to run like a charm.

Btw is there anyway to correct that greenish-magenta tint on the screen when you are watching images on playback mode?

As we all know the screen on the 5Dc is bad, the resolution is fine(imo), but the colors are way off when comparing to PC monitor. Mostly because of that green-magenta tint on the LCD.

vscd

@CMV
There is no known issue with writingspeed for the V1.1.1. It could be that your CF-Card needs to get formattet or replaced. The V1.1.1 just fixed a problem with cards >8GB. It *could* be that there is a new protocoll active which your Card doesn't like... but you're the first I've heard of.