[UNMAINTAINED] Canon 5D Classic Firmware ** Beta 4 **

Started by coutts, June 14, 2012, 04:54:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

smee.bruce

Hello,
I'm new to the forum and have just loaded Magic Lantern onto my 5Dc.
I had no issues with the install.
I seem to be having the same issue as this post:

http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=3445.msg17215#msg17215

1. The MLU.
Perhaps I'm using it wrong . . I want the mirror to lock up, the camera to take its (eg) 5 bracketing exposures and the mirror must drop down again. (The mirror lockup is disabled
  • on the camera's own menu.)
    At the moment: The mirror locks up on 1st button push, takes the first exposure on the second push, drops the mirror and takes the rest of the exposures 'flapping' the mirror.
    If i then push the trash button, the MLU has been turned off.

2. The intervalometer - it works  the moment it is turned on in the ML menu, it starts counting down immediately and taking pictures without waiting for the shutter button to be depressed. Is his normal?

Forgive me if I'm doing it wrong or I've missed something.

Regards
    Bruce.

Thank you for doing this camera!

criz_a

Thanks to all for still working on this port! :-*

scrax

Quote from: smee.bruce on January 21, 2013, 12:08:44 AM
Hello,

1. The MLU.
Perhaps I'm using it wrong . . I want the mirror to lock up, the camera to take its (eg) 5 bracketing exposures and the mirror must drop down again. (The mirror lockup is disabled
  • on the camera's own menu.)
    At the moment: The mirror locks up on 1st button push, takes the first exposure on the second push, drops the mirror and takes the rest of the exposures 'flapping' the mirror.
    If i then push the trash button, the MLU has been turned off.

2. The intervalometer - it works  the moment it is turned on in the ML menu, it starts counting down immediately and taking pictures without waiting for the shutter button to be depressed. Is his normal?

Forgive me if I'm doing it wrong or I've missed something.

Regards
    Bruce.

Thank you for doing this camera!
1 mirror don't stay up during braketing, it should raise and after raised take the pic (second shutter press), will try to check if it is working as expected later...
2 is how itworks on all model ML supports,
I'm using ML2.3 for photography with:
EOS 600DML | EOS 400Dplus | EOS 5D MLbeta5- EF 100mm f/2.8 USM Macro  - EF-S 17-85mm f4-5.6 IS USM - EF 70-200mm f/4 L USM - 580EXII - OsX, PS, LR, RawTherapee, LightZone -no video experience-

walta

Quote from: smee.bruce on January 21, 2013, 12:08:44 AM
Hello,

The Intervalometer is not a parameter you turn on and off. Its a script that you run.  So choosing it starts it right away.

Once it gets out of beta, the menus will be more user friendly.

Canon 5Dc and 400D

scrax

I managed to compile for 5DC, using the EABI toolchain for mac from https://github.com/jsnyder/arm-eabi-toolchain

Had tomale some changes to compile the tree version don't boot, the 0xAF fork boots but with few different things from beta 4, now I'll try to enable some recent features to see if they works, first of all GUI event :)

EDIT: Almos all of what I've enabled needs fixes to work, first of all I think that bulb Timer can be a good thing to have on 5DC, actually acn't detect correctly when in B mode. Any suggestion on what can I check to make it works?
EOS 600DML | EOS 400Dplus | EOS 5D MLbeta5- EF 100mm f/2.8 USM Macro  - EF-S 17-85mm f4-5.6 IS USM - EF 70-200mm f/4 L USM - 580EXII - OsX, PS, LR, RawTherapee, LightZone -no video experience-

0xAF

Quote from: scrax on January 23, 2013, 09:27:26 AM
Had tomale some changes to compile the tree version don't boot, the 0xAF fork boots but with few different things from beta 4, now I'll try to enable some recent features to see if they works, first of all GUI event :)
?

The 5DC in the master repo is broken. Even the old boot method wont work. I suspect it's a problem in the initialization of the CPU, that's why I still have problems with the cache boot method. The CPU hangs after specific amount of time, whatever I do...
I made changes in the old boot method (the original init code) to make it boot. These days I will try to find what were changed that prevents the original init procedure... I hope if I fix this, the cache boot method will work too, as it seems the cache hacks are working, but the camera still hangs somewhere... strange enough.

In the meanwhile, use my repo, until these problems are fixed. I will push the the master once it's ok.

BTW, just updated with the master, please pull again.

EDIT: if you need to push to my repo, please go ahead, I think my repo is inheriting the master's repo user permissions, you should be able to commit to my repo too...
// AF

Buzzz57

I have installed your fork on my 5Dc today. I have noticed some issues. I'll post them later today.

wolt3r

After i take a picture and look at preview, i'm observing that it shifts greener in the moment when ml process the overlay. Is it normal? Is there a way to turn off this cast?
5dc and 30d

scrax

Quote from: wolt3r on January 23, 2013, 10:29:26 PM
After i take a picture and look at preview, i'm observing that it shifts greener in the moment when ml process the overlay. Is it normal? Is there a way to turn off this cast?
I can't notice it, what are your Overlay's options?

Buzzz57

Quote from: Buzzz57 on January 23, 2013, 08:35:27 PM
I have installed your fork on my 5Dc today. I have noticed some issues. I'll post them later today.
The issues I have seen are not critical but annoying.
First one is the following :
When I review my pictures, if I press on "Set" to modify the exposure, the blue led turns on.
If I press "Set" again, it turns off. Till now, everything is normal.
But if I try to do anything else (quitting the review mode by pressing the play button, half pressing the shutter button, hitting the menu button...), the camera quits the review mode, but the LED keeps shinning. To turn it off, the only way is to go back in review mode and to press the "Set" button 2 times. I don't think this is normal.

scrax

Quote from: Buzzz57 on January 23, 2013, 11:43:32 PM
The issues I have seen are not critical but annoying.
First one is the following :
When I review my pictures, if I press on "Set" to modify the exposure, the blue led turns on.
If I press "Set" again, it turns off. Till now, everything is normal.
But if I try to do anything else (quitting the review mode by pressing the play button, half pressing the shutter button, hitting the menu button...), the camera quits the review mode, but the LED keeps shinning. To turn it off, the only way is to go back in review mode and to press the "Set" button 2 times. I don't think this is normal.
I have that problem too, will try to check it, also I had problem when show overlay is shown after tacking pic so I've disabled it for now.

@0xAF I think you have to add me (600Dplus) permissions for pushing to your fork, I have no writing permission on the main tree, but I can submit pull request to you fork I suppose like on the main tree so it's not a problem for me and maybe is better so you could check what I did also.

0xAF

Quote from: scrax on January 23, 2013, 11:49:09 PM
@0xAF I think you have to add me (600Dplus) permissions for pushing to your fork, I have no writing permission on the main tree, but I can submit pull request to you fork I suppose like on the main tree so it's not a problem for me and maybe is better so you could check what I did also.

Yeah. Perhaps it's better to fork it from me and send pull requests...
// AF

wolt3r

Quote from: scrax on January 23, 2013, 10:42:31 PM
I can't notice it, what are your Overlay's options?

I tested it further and turned off all overlay settings and noticed thesame problem. My gues is that the Preference - Display Saturation - Normal couses it, because when i change it to grayscale or more saturated setting it behaves similar. In first picture preview is colored normal and after half sec ml turn it to grayscale.

My gues is that Display Satturation setting - Normal (1) does not turn this feture off, but proces image in some "Normal greenish saturation" Is there a way to turn off this fetaure?

I've tried to change picture styles but it is noticable enyway.
5dc and 30d

Buzzz57

Have you tried to change the UniWB value in the advanced settings ?

takitibi

Dear Developers!
When will it be ready for the 1.0 version? Which is not beta.
I wish I had ISO 6400 often come in handy. Ex.: Candle light waltz on wedding...

a1ex

Nobody knows.

There is no schedule for ML development; this is a community project and people are doing this in their spare time.

wolt3r

Quote from: Buzzz57 on January 24, 2013, 10:02:26 AM
Have you tried to change the UniWB value in the advanced settings ?

No, can you guide me, where i can find advanced settings and UniWB value. Do you mean ml config file?
5dc and 30d

Buzzz57

I think the advanced settings are in the same page as the saturation setting. I don't have the camera in front of me.

Chewe

Hi all! I've been using magic lantern since old 350D, nice to see it has been ported to 5D Classic.

Recently I've bought a dead 5d classic, which after repairing the blown fuse on DC/DC board has come back to life! Everything works fine, AF, Shutter speeds, photo review, firmware update to 1.1.1 and I've been even able to upload magic lantern beta4! So at this point i should be glad for a 100€ spend... except that each time i shoot a photo the camera is stuck on busy mode with red light (not blinking as writing) as if it was trying to write the photo from buffer to card without success. I can shoot two photos before this "odd buffer" stucks the camera again on busy mode without writing. Each time i have to reset the camera by unpluggin the battery.

By watching the tasks menu on Magic Lantern... it shows CsMgrd: p30 m=56% on yellow... but i don't know if this is standard for all users of 5DC ML
Image Buffers= 540x426, 540x426
FreeMemory= 2573
cmos temp=144

When benchmarking Card (fast blinking red light), it does the first block (128k) Writing/reading and on the second it "skips" on the last one

I don't see either Shutter Counts... should be where?

LiveView is working?

The options i get from beta4 are really fewer than the video on Timelapse feature

Thanks everyone for this port! from Couts to Alex! Cheers!

sandisk

Hey everyone. I have upgraded from my 5Dc to a 5D2 and the full Magic Lantern is amazing! All the features with liveview. It is just incredible how much stuff you can control with focus trapping and precise ISO and the movie stuff is just overkill!

But however with all the new technology in the 5D2, I personally think that the image quality straight out of the camera (silky smoothness) is a bit better on a 5Dc.

I am so tempted to buy another 5Dc, but I will be happy with my 5D2 with liveview (which I really am enjoying for focus control).

So basically never sell your 5Dc!
Sold my Canon 5Dc. Now enjoying my 5D2 with liveview and Magic Lantern. INCREDIBLE !

walta

Quote from: Chewe on February 06, 2013, 04:35:04 PM

I don't see either Shutter Counts... should be where?

LiveView is working?

According to the earlier posts from the guys these 2 items are not available on the 5Dc.

Canon 5Dc and 400D

Chewe

Thanks Walta! I was unsure as my undead 5dc is not working properly... Have you got 5DC with ML beta4? Could you tell me what do you see on "show tasks"? specially regarding to canon yellow tagged function... it's the same as mine? CsMgrd: p30 m=56%

Cheers

walta

Quote from: Chewe on February 06, 2013, 08:31:07 PM
Thanks Walta! I was unsure as my undead 5dc is not working properly... Have you got 5DC with ML beta4? Could you tell me what do you see on "show tasks"? specially regarding to canon yellow tagged function... it's the same as mine? CsMgrd: p30 m=56%

by the way! someone tell couts that maybe his canon got a dead fuse on DC/DC board!... i've just revived mine by soldering a small/thin wire over it and it come back! I've done it previously on other canons like 350D and such... easy trick.

Cheers

I'm not running it now. I deleted it when Coutts bricked his camera and work seems to have stopped on this project for a while.
There weren't any items in the beta version that I needed so I decided to unload it until progress resumes.

Maybe someone else on here can answer your question.

Canon 5Dc and 400D

Buzzz57

Quote from: walta on February 06, 2013, 08:52:43 PMand work seems to have stopped on this project for a while.
Works is still in progress. http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=4415.0
I only have a hard time learning C language...  ;D

Regarding Chewe's issue, I have no idea. Does your camera work OK when ML is not installed ?