[UNMAINTAINED] Canon 5D Classic Firmware ** Beta 4 **

Started by coutts, June 14, 2012, 04:54:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cobarcore

About the question about real ISO: according to my test http://www.astrosurf.com/comolli/strum40.htm 100-200-400-800-1600 ISO are real, the extended 3200 ISO is NOT real, and the intermediate 1/3 steps are doubtful (histogram is ok, but read noise is identical to the slowest full stop iso).

vscd

@Cobarcore.
Very informative page, thanx! I guess no one ever took the ISO3200 for real because it's marked and known as pushed Mode from Canon. You even have to unlock it in the Custom Funktions. As the EOS 5D can adjust -2 e.V. while shooting, the limit would be theoretical ISO 12800 (ISO 3200, -2ev... then push 2 e.v. in Post Processing) ;) The result would be mostly unusable.

Did you got more information on the 1/3 e.v. steps between lower ISOs, f.e. ISO 160, 320, 500, 640? Are those only the next lower step + in camera processing? Or are they "real" modes?

Epic

Hi guys, it's possible on 5D do wireless flash control E-TTL like on 450d, 1000d etc?

Thanks!

fleder

Non it's not possible, since there's nothing that could transmit the signal in this body.

EdMika

forgive me if this has been asked before but is it feasible that live view could be made to work on a 5D classic?  The reason I ask is that the 5D1 is a very popular camera still for people interested in using manual focus lenses for which I make adapter solutions for (edmika.com).  Because of mirror hit for many of the vintage Canon lenses it would be very useful to use live view to get around the issue.

vscd

The question was already answered. Magic Lantern is some kind of backpack to the original (Dry)-OS, so if the original Firmware doesn't allow it, the cam will not support it. Of course someone could try to implement it directly to the hardware, but this won't happen because the Digic II isn't fast enough and the effort would be amazingly high.

For problems in focusing with manual lenses use different matt-screens in the viewer.

sandisk

Coutts, I just saw the photos you posted of your disassembled 5Dc. Did you try putting it back together? It reminds me of that movie, Short Circuit. "No disassemble Number Five! "! "Malfunction. Need input." "Re-asessemble Number 5Dc".
Hope you get a new 5Dc donor soon.

Just checking some of the last photos, do you think some of that slight burning/melting was caused by a loop in the ML firmware. This mod does add new features, but potentially increase heat stress on circuit the system?

To all the requests asking about the shutter count feature. Do you really want to know when your 5Dc might die?
It is like asking the doctor, how many heartbeats do I have left...will I die soon?

Enjoy your shutter clicks while you can. Tommorow your camera might look like Coutts!

Click, click, snap, crackle and pop. :o

I have to say that after reading all these threads, it is such bad luck that Coutts camera gave up on him and all of us.
I hope that this does not stop the development of this creative mod. I wish Coutts and the team at MagicLantern all the best. The future really is defined by homebrew. Long live homebrew.

Sold my Canon 5Dc. Now enjoying my 5D2 with liveview and Magic Lantern. INCREDIBLE !

nanomad

Quote from: sandisk on December 07, 2012, 05:09:00 AM
Just checking some of the last photos, do you think some of that slight burning/melting was caused by a loop in the ML firmware. This mod does add new features, but potentially increase heat stress on circuit the system?

No, both canon firmware and the ARM chip have an auto-shutdown safety feature to prevent overheating. Moreover, it can't reach such high temperatures to produce burning or melting.
EOS 1100D | EOS 650 (No, I didn't forget the D) | Ye Olde Canon EF Lenses ('87): 50 f/1.8 - 28 f/2.8 - 70-210 f/4 | EF-S 18-55 f/3.5-5.6 | Metz 36 AF-5

jamesc0519

Hi,

I have followed this forum for a while since I am a long time Canon 5D Classic owner. This afternoon I finally had the time to try out firmware beta 4. After I extracted all the files to my CF card and go through the firmware update process, the LED is always a BLINKING BLUE LED which means the bootdisk is disabled. I followed the instruction exactly. I even formated the CF inside the 5Dc. Every time I go through the firmware update process the LED just stay BLINKING BLUE, not SOLID BLUE.

CAn some one help me? My 5Dc's S/N #: 0920703028. Thanks!!

Update: Thanks to Walta's post on Nov. 9th, I finally got it to work :) Thanks!

dfallsfilm

I got a question before I buy a Canon 5D Classic.  Using Magic Lantern Beta 4 gives 9 exposures for autobracketing?  What about 5 and 7 stops?

Francis

Not positive about the 5D but you can chose any number of shots up to 9 for your brackets.

Kampf

Thank you!

"The flash expo comp" function works normally.
"Flash/No flash" doesn't work. Flash works regardless of value of control

b0ooo

okay so i just booted it on my 5dc a couple min ago and Walta's explanation (post #262 pg. 11 on nov. 9) on how to install ml on the 5dc helped explain why there were two .fir files. So I'm just going to write my own comprehensive installation explanation in case i forget and maybe help those who are planning to install it since the explanation on the first page isn't very informative to non-tech savvy peoples. But it's still awesome what Coutts, A1ex, and everyone else has done.

I'm using windows 7, most of the steps should be the same for MAC users though with the exception of the extraction programs, or the drives that I mention. Here's a rough draft of the installation instructions (esp. steps 10-13)

Things to know and remember before you start the installation. Basically an installation for dummys (like me)

Pre-Installation Procedures (aka Stuff you need to know before you install it) (Should take about half an hour to an hour so take the time to read this otherwise you can blow up your 5DC)

• 1. Doesn't work with another card. If you switch cards, it won't work and you'll need to redo the entire installation again.
    My serial number begins with: 26212xxxxx, but i don't think that matters anymore since they fixed the firmware installation mumbojumbo so I think most people don't have to worry about this.
    2. Have a full battery (or two) or apparently use the AC adapter (ACK-E2). It's unnecessary for installation, but it'll come in handy for time-lapses if you ever plan on doing it (which is the main reason why i want ML)
    3. Check that you have version 1.1.1 installed. If you don't have it go to the link below and follow the installation instructions and then come back. This is extremely important as you might just blow up your 5DC. There is a very good chance that you don't have version 1.1.1 installed so you might as well go there and install it.
    http://web.canon.jp/imaging/eos5d/eos5d_firmware-e.html

4. Do not press any camera buttons during the firmware writing operation. When you install the firmware, either a red or blue blinking or blue solid light will come on where the printer button is. If it's a blue blinking light you screwed up so take the battery out and redo it again. The reasons for it screwing up is because you didn't follow the instructions. Read it again and redo it and it should be fine.
    5. AT ANY POINT IF YOU WANT TO TAKE OUT THE CARD, FIRST POP OPEN THE HATCH AND WAIT AT LEAST 5 SECONDS BEFORE YOU POP THE CARD OUT
    6. Have Winzip, winRAR or a similar program that'll read/extract .rar files, pretty basic stuff, most computers should already have it installed.
    7. Format your card through your camera, make sure you save your pictures that you have on it first otherwise they'll be deleted. You format it by turning on camera, press Menu, scroll down to Format, press OK.
    7. Not sure if i missed anything, but if you follow all those instructions above should prevent something bad from happening to your 5DC.
If you've read all the things above, continue!

Preparing to install ML on your 5DC (Note: I  copied most of this from the first page, with some of my own edits)
1.) Make sure you are running v1.1.1 firmware (if not, upgrade to it!)
2.) Double check that you are running v1.1.1 firmware.
3.) One more time make sure that you are running v1.1.1 firmware!
4.) Charge battery to 100% and remove any battery grip for the install procedure.
5.) Download the zip file from the link below (in this case it'll be the link on the front page), unzip all of the files to your desktop.
The files that should be extracted are: ML (folder), "5dc.111.card_bootable.fir", "5dc.111.ML_INSTALL.fir" &
"autoexec.bin".
6.) Copy All the files that you extracted onto the "ROOT" (folder) of your SD card. (Note: the Root (folder) means the start of your Card folder, and if you formatted it, there should be the "DCIM" folder. On windows it should be something like D, E, or F or G drive)
7.) Delete "5dc.111.ML_INSTALL.fir" (tech mumbo jumbo: This makes your card "bootable")
8.) Safely remove your card from your computer and pop it into your fully powered, firmware version 1.1.1 camera.
9.) Be in any mode (i think) except for the green box mode on the top left dial (simple enough?)
10.) Launch the firmware update process. There can ONLY be these 3 possibilities (or else something is really wrong)
- A red LED which means something went wrong. Go back to the top and start over.
- A solid blue LED means good stuff is happening. It should go to the menu screen after a couple min, but if it doesn't pop the battery out and go to Step 11.
- A blinking blue led means you messed up (better than a red light). Read on for steps on how to continue.

NOTE: Follow the next couple of steps only if you have a blinking blue light.
a.) There can be a number of reasons for a blinking blue light, you can either go RAMBO style and follow step 11 or,
b.) Turn off your camera, the LED will continue to blink, so take out the battery, pop it back in Go back up to step 6 and make sure you deleted the "5dc.111.ML_INSTALL.fir" file and start over, if you still have a blinking blue LED go RAMBO style and just go onto step 11.

11.) Turn off the camera, pop the battery out (just do it again, c'mon man). Let the LEDs flash. Open the hatch to your card and wait 5 seconds. Then take the card out and pop it into your computer again.
12. ) On your computer, Delete '5dc.111.card_bootable.fir" file from the root of your SD card and copy "5dc.111.ML_INSTALL.fir" from the desktop (or wherever you put it) onto the root of your SD card (This was the file you deleted before).
13.) Remove the card from your computer and pop it into the Camera.
14.) Run the firmware installation procedures  (menu (shortcut: scroll up one knot)-> firmware Ver. 1.1.1) select it and ok. A blue Solid LED should be on now. It'll take a couple minutes go youtube a couple vids or something and come back in 5 min. If not, you messed up. Go back to Step 11 and start over.
15.) After a couple minutes, if it's still the solid blue LED light, turn off the camera, pop the battery out and pop it right back in and watch the LED light show (ooh the red and blue).
16.) Turn it on. Press Menu
17.) Switch your dials a bit to anything, and press the Trash button and voila! Magic Lantern for 5DC - Beta 4 should be in white letters on a black background.

NOTE: To put it on multiple cards, SCRAX put this link up to figure out how to work it. Once I figure it out, I'll put it in dummy terms, but i only have one card on me for now.
SCRAX's Link on how to install ML on multiple cards: http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=2522.0

12/26 edit: apparently you can put it on multiple cards. that's good.

And thus, concludes the installation procedures.

Leave me comments or add onto it if you have any procedures that are different. I've installed ML a couple of times already, and what I wrote, is how I did it. It might be different on other models, but on my model, this is how it happened.

btw, I'm also using a CF to SD card adapter that I bought from amazon. I'm not sure if the CF card adapter was originally too big, but I just sanded it down and it works marvelously in my 5dc.

compupix

Thanks for updating the instructions b0ooo.
Too bad it doesn't work with multiple CF (not SD) cards. Let us know if you get it to.
I have 4 CF cards. Limiting me to one is tough to do.

Thanks,
Drew

scrax

Quote from: Kampf on December 08, 2012, 11:22:42 PM
"Flash/No flash" doesn't work. Flash works regardless of value of control
Thanks for reporting it, we will take a look at it..
I'm using ML2.3 for photography with:
EOS 600DML | EOS 400Dplus | EOS 5D MLbeta5- EF 100mm f/2.8 USM Macro  - EF-S 17-85mm f4-5.6 IS USM - EF 70-200mm f/4 L USM - 580EXII - OsX, PS, LR, RawTherapee, LightZone -no video experience-

0xAF

Quote from: compupix on December 22, 2012, 02:21:35 AM
Too bad it doesn't work with multiple CF (not SD) cards. Let us know if you get it to.

Thanks,
Drew

You can make as many as you want CF cards.
They need to be prepared and ML should be installed on each card.
// AF

scrax

Quote from: compupix on December 22, 2012, 02:21:35 AM

Thanks,
Drew
Quote from: 0xAF on December 22, 2012, 02:50:25 AM
You can make as many as you want CF cards.
They need to be prepared and ML should be installed on each card.

Yes, 0xAF is right.
Read this if you have doubts.
EOS 600DML | EOS 400Dplus | EOS 5D MLbeta5- EF 100mm f/2.8 USM Macro  - EF-S 17-85mm f4-5.6 IS USM - EF 70-200mm f/4 L USM - 580EXII - OsX, PS, LR, RawTherapee, LightZone -no video experience-

gkase

Hi...just curious as to how the focus peaking function works exactly with no live view?

scrax

Quote from: gkase on December 26, 2012, 10:15:01 PM
Hi...just curious as to how the focus peaking function works exactly with no live view?
* Complete feature list:
   - zebras, focus peaking, spotmeter, histogram, waveform, vectorscope (in playback mode)

I suppose all LV features supported works in Play mode only on this camera.

gkase

Hi Scrax...i understood that about it...what I wanted to understand is, what is the value of seeing the focus assist in the play mode? just to check that you got the correct focus area I'm guessing?

scrax

Quote from: gkase on December 27, 2012, 06:37:01 PM
Hi Scrax...i understood that about it...what I wanted to understand is, what is the value of seeing the focus assist in the play mode? just to check that you got the correct focus area I'm guessing?
Without LiveView it's a little help in checking focus on the small screen, it makes more sense with liveview, but since it works why don have it? :)

coutts

the 5dc has a notoriously low-resolution screen. I don't even know how many times I've been lied to by that screen that my photos were in focus ;)

ML helps tremendously with figuring out which pictures are actually in focus and which aren't.

dfallsfilm

I'm myself buying the 5DC next week to use it for ML Beta 4.  It will be my first full frame DSLR. I already owns the Canon 7D for 2 years.

Devulder

Thanks
Quote from: b0ooo on December 22, 2012, 01:35:59 AM

7.) Delete "5dc.111.ML_INSTALL.fir" (tech mumbo jumbo: This makes your card "bootable")

That what i have done for the ML2.3 work on my 5dc
Is there any news about the beta 5?
5đc  ml beta 4

0xAF

Quote from: Devulder on January 03, 2013, 04:13:30 PM
Is there any news about the beta 5?

Hi,
I started working on 5Dc. I still have to port the booting method, but I'm close to it. Then I will look at some new features for 5Dc.
I don't have much time to work on the camera, so it will come, but slowly.

Don't get desperate.
// AF